From:
"Joan C. Janicki" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 21:55:25 -0400

Hi-

I've been having a terrible time trying to get generic versions of
prescription drugs in addition to frustration dealing with ignorant
pharmacists and was wondering if anyone had advice on how to deal with
this.

I was prescribed an antibiotic by my doctor and wanted to get a generic
version because my insurance charges me a high copay for brand name drugs.
I called around to several area pharmacies to find out what generic
manufacturers they carried so I could verify with the companies that these
medications were gluten free.  None of the companies could guarantee it
except for one brand at only one pharmacy chain.  I called every pharmacy
in my local area, by the way.

I called the pharmacy to specifically request this brand, explaining that
I had severe allergies....  However, when I picked it up they had given me
the brand that I knew I couldn't trust.  This went on for several months
when I refilled the prescription.  One time, the pharmaicist mixed the
good brand with the bad brand, which of course I accidentally took becasue
the pills are the same size and color and got very sick.

When I went to refill the prescription this month, the pharmacy had
stopped carrying my good brand, so I was forced to go with the non
formulary, original brand name of the drug, which my insurance company was
going to charge me several hundred dollars for because I was not going
with the generic.  When I complained, the insurance company told me that I
had to have my doctor call them and tell them that I have this gluten
intolerance and they will take it into review with no assurance that they
would allow me to get brand name drugs at the general copay price.

Has anyone had any problems with their insurance company about this kind
of drug situation?  Your advice is much appreciated.

Joany Janicki, Washington, DC