From:
Rose Mary Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 21:27:41 -0500

Mollie's post about the reticence of P&G to share gf info points out the
problems we have when there is no national identity and the diets are
sometimes contradictory regarding the presence of gluten.  We aren't
even sure what to say about our condition: is it celiac disease,
malabsorption syndrome, gluten sensitive enteropathy, or Celiac
Sprue...?  We have the Celiac Disease Foundation, Celiac Sprue
Association and Gluten Intolerance Group.  We have either  a rare
disorder or the most commonly genetically transferred disease in the US.

We  cannot tolerate  WROB or maybe we can have  uncontaminated oatmeal.
We can have buckwheat, unless it was grown next to wheat or in a field
formerly planted with an offending grain.  We can have zanthum gum, but
guar gum can act as a laxative, so it is banned by some.  We can have
some vinegar (maybe) or alcohol or maybe not.  To canola or not is
another dilemma.

We are either blood or biopsy diagnosed or not confirmed but react to
gluten containing foods.  We each have a  seemingly different tolerance
before we are symptomatic.   We can also have other food
intolerances...mainly lactose or casein or other grains.  We have either
constipation or diarrhea and we are either  underweight or over-weight,
with some in the middle of the weight charts.   We are old, young,
middle age.  We come in short or tall packages with a myriad of last
names and cultural identities. Our European friends have a less
restrictive diet - which one is the correct one for us? We also have a
sister disease - dermatitis herpetiformis.

Remembering that P&G has been stung repeatedly with acrimonious charges
that their corporate logo affirmed devil worship, it is no wonder that
they (or their corporate attorney) has decided  that we are so
disorganized that we have little impact on their bottom line.  Until we
can "get our act together" it is merely a matter of time until other
companies follow suit.  We are already seeing some companies put the
disclaimer on their products : May contain wheat, gluten or nuts.  This
tells us nothing, since it may contain only nuts and be gf.  Are there
answers to these questions, and if so,  will we believe the research?

The challenge is there (no pun intended) and I hope someone much wiser
than I am, can answer these riddles.

Rose Mary in W. Ky.