From:
"Thomas, Janet (HRD)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:35:00 ADT

Here are two great recipes for cookies that my children love.  They are
especially good for kids because you can roll out the dough and cut them
into shapes - gingerbread men or seasonal cookies (Christmas, Halloween,
Easter).

This is my grandmother's recipe for Sugar Cookies:

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup tapioca starch
2/3 cup potato starch
2 cup white rice flour
1/4 tsp xanthum gum (optional)

Cream sugar and shortening.  Beat in eggs, add milk and mix well.  Add dry
ingredients all at once.    You want the dough to be stiff enough to roll
out but not too crumbly so add the white rice flour a little at a time.  You
may not need the entire 2 cups.  You will learn how stiff to make these
cookies after you've made them a couple of times.  If you don't have the
xanthum gum, which makes gf baked goods less crumbly, add a package of plain
gelatin.  It will achieve the same purpose.
Roll the cookies out on a rice floured surface and cut into desired shapes.
 My boys like me to add a little homemade peach or strawberry jam in the
middle of the cookies.  Bake at 375 degrees until edges begin to become
golden.

My Mom's Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup molasses
3 level tsps baking soda in molasses and beat until foamy
2 eggs
2 Tblsps warm water
1/3 cup tapioca starch
2/3 cup potato starch
2 cups white rice flour
2 tsps ginger
2 tsps cream of tartar
1/4 tsp xanthum gum or 1 package plain gelatin (optional)
salt

Cream shortening and sugar and beat in eggs.  Add molasses/baking soda
mixture and warm water.  Mix well.  Add dry ingredients altogether and mix
well.  Let stand overnight in a cool spot.  Roll out on a rice-floured
surface and cut into desired shapes.

I find that a combination of starches and flours works best and I often
experiment with combinations.  You might wish to try soy flour in the
molasses cookies, or brown rice flour.  Also, my boys really like to have
these cookies 'decorated' so I often sprinkle them with cinnamon/sugar or gf
'sprinkles'.  Hope you enjoy these as much as we do.  Incidently, these
recipes are traditional in Maritime Canada.

Janet Thomas