From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 10:17:05 -0400

I have two friends with sons who are shizophrenics and another friend whose
schizophrenic son committed suicide.  All these young men became ill at
around the age of 18.  As our family reaction to gluten involves mental
confusion and irrational anger, I keep wondering if the celiac diet would
be of any use to persons with schizophrenic symptoms.  The books MENTAL AND
ELEMENTAL NUTRIENTS, by Carl Pfeiffer (now deceased) who founded the
Princeton Bio Center, and BRAIN ALLERGIES by Philpott and Kalita, both
infer that a gluten and milk free diet might be helpful in cases of
schizophrenia. I wonder if any of you have any information on this? It
seems to me tha the remarkable work done with gluten free diet for Autistic
children might be a clue that going gluten free might alleviate many
problems.  There are even studies in jails that show how gluten removal
improved the behavior and mental attitude of prisoners.  I would appreciate
any information that I migh pass along to my frinds.  Thanks

Gayle Kennedy  [log in to unmask]