From:
Kathy McDermid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:02:33 -0400

Hi to all of you!

        I just called Frito-Lay to check on their Baked Tostitos - Low Fat-
chips.  I wasn't concerned about the ingredients (Corn and Salt) but I
wanted to check on the GF environment factor.  The lady I talked to checked
with a nutritionist and a food technician.  She told me that the only
questionable process might be that the Cool Ranch chips (not gluten free)
use the same tumbler to add the flavoring onto the outside of the chips.
Baked Tostitos uses that tumbler to add salt to the outside of the chips.
She said that the tumbler is carefully cleaned after the Cool Ranch process
before using it for salting the Tostitos.  They consider it to be gluten
free but she wanted to warn me of that process.  Is "carefully cleaned"
good enough?  I suppose the salt-free chips wouldn't go through that
process,and therefore be GF, but they are kind of yucky in my opinion.

How clean is clean enough? - Only a tumbler that has never been used for
anything but gluten free?

        Thanks, KATHY

"Gluten Free and Happy to Be"