From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:45:51 -0500

Hi, List -

A number of replies have come in since the first summary of answers
to my question about how vigilant people are. I am posting a
follow-up summary because there has been so much interest.

First, just the numbers:

In addition to the original 52 replies, there are 27 new ones.

22 classify themselves as "super-vigilant"
5 describe themselves as "semi-vigilant"
1 used the term "just vigilant"

Combining the totals:

66 people put themselves in the "super-vigilant" category.
16 call themselves "semi-vigilant"
1 "just vigilant" - maybe that means "you is or you ain't."

A number of people correctly pointed out that my passing reference in
the last summary to "self-selection bias" underplays the degree to
which those who responded are a subset of a subset, and not
representative of Celiacs as a whole.

Furthermore, we know there are a great many undiagnosed Celiacs in
the US, many of whom do not define themselves as sick although,
post-diagnosis and post-diet, they might very well realize that they
feel a lot better than they used to. Given that, it seems safe to
assume that non-compliant Celiacs who do not become obviously sick
from eating gluten are less motivated than others to change their
dietary ways, look for answers and participate in forums.

Two writers put it succinctly (parentheses mine):

1.
>Super vigilant is typical among people who active on a forum like
>this, but I don't think...the people who are active on this listserv
>are representative of the general celiac population. Folks who are
>active here and elsewhere generally are more sensitive, have been
>sicker and often have problems other than celiac. Most folks who are
>active in forums slowly drop out as they adjust to the diet, so the
>average person (on this list) is also less experienced and probably
>more hyper-vigilant.

-on the other hand, some become more careful with experience.....see
below, after #4

2.
Your survey almost necessarily will get a result skewed to the more
vigilant side.  First of all, people are not likely to be on this
list if they are not at least somewhat vigilant.  Second those who
read your post and answer are likely to be more vigilant than
listmates who are less so. Finally the standard of vigilance is very
subjective -- there are people who consider eating out ever as lack
of vigilance.

People on either side of the "eating out vs. not eating out" consider
theirs to be the standard of vigilance. A case in point:

3.
.....I know several people who have celiac but never read or
participate in any forums, and all of them take educated chances when
eating out or socializing frequently. My own doctor, for instance,
has celiac and is fairly sensitive, yet he eats out regularly, taking
no precautions other than avoiding the obvious. He also doesn't worry
about whether or not prescription meds have gluten because virtually
none do (I still check).

Others called themselves "semi-vigilant" because they do eat out.

Another writer made this point about how subjective measures:

4.
I absolutely will not rely on personal testimony to determine if a
product is GF.  So, when I read on this list that this product or
that product is GF or not GF I pay absolutely no attention to that.
I have no way of knowing....what standards they apply in deciding to
tell me that something is GF.  So, I do my own checking.

Some people said that with experience, they become more careful.

A personal note: as I was not obviously sick at the time of
diagnoses, the details of the diet sounded ridiculously picky.
"Killing an ant with a machine gun," I said. Um, no. I went from
avoiding obvious gluten to investigating sources to knowing that
buffets are hazardous unless I get there first....and on and on. I do
eat out, but not in places that mass-produce the food. I rarely get
hit but, since I have no antibodies, my gluten reactions now are much
more dramatic than they were before diagnosis. On the other hand, the
joint pains have long since gone away, I don't live on aspirin for
limitless headaches any longer, I am usually pretty cheerful, I am
not bone-weary when I wake up, I don't get outbreaks of DH and my
brain (such as it is) functions.

On the subject of experience:

5.
At our Celiac Support group, someone said that they had read that in
a Celiac one-eighth of a teaspoon of flour can cause damage in the
small intestine. Even after 15 years of GF diet, that got my
attention and I re-evaluated the foods I was eating. Dropping the
Campbell's condensed soups, Kellogg's Rice Krispies, and Knorr sauce
mixes. There was a noticeable difference in my health. These foods
weren't causing 'big' celiac reactions, but minor symptoms that I
hadn't associated with Celiac before (like small rash on my chest).

6.
I ate Russel Stover Sugar-Free items (which all say that it is made
in the same facility as products containing wheat) for months before
I finally accepted that it was causing my DH. If I had experienced
worse symptoms, I would have given it up much quicker. And, it's
because of these products as well as Smucker's Sugar-Free products,
and others that have made me as vigilant as I am.

.....okay. That's enough for one e-mail. Replies on motivation and
compliance in my next post.

Thanks to everyone who responded so helpfully and thoughtfully.

Mary Brown
NYC