Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Roselyn Mostafa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:07:46 EDT

Dear List Members,

Thanks so much for the suggestions for restaurants and groceries in the
Decorah, Iowa area, and for parts of Minnesota.  Here is my summary...I am
including edited responses since many different geographic areas are covered....
(Note:  Minneapolis was the subject of an excellent summary recently so is not
covered in this summary.)

Marilyn from Madison County, IA wrote:

Decorah should have a Hy-vee grocery store nearby.  It is a huge chain and is
gluten-free friendly.  They have many items listed in the commercial products
listing published by CSA.  Or you can download their gluten-free products
list.

Lillian from St. Cloud:

You can eat at the Old Country Buffet (on Division St.) in St.Cloud and have
any of the salad bar choices ...I eat the ham and mashed potatoes and the
cooked veggies (plain).  For dessert I eat their soft serve with Hot fudge
topping. They are very helpful and will take good care of you if you ask for the
manager or Asst mgr Don.

I also eat ocassionally at the Red Lobster and I have the lobster without the
seasoning ... they are very good there about bringing out the product label
and
letting you check it out. For groceries you can go to Cashwise Super
market and go to the Natural Food dept .

From Linda in Bemidji area ...

There is Harmony Food Coop, 117 3rd St NW, downtown Bemidji...  they have a
small selection of GF offerings.  Also a major grocery store - Lueken's Foods
- has a Health Foods section with some GF offerings.  I shop at the Lueken's
on Paul Bunyan Dr NW.

Sandy from Moorhead wrote:

I would suggest you pick up food to take with traveling anywhere north of
Minneapolis.  In Moorhead if you wish to eat out, there is the Red Bear Grill and
Tavern...(The chef) cooked me chicken and a plain baked potato.

...In Minneapolis, take a cooler and pick up stuff at Whole Foods and the
Wedge Coop.  Fresh and Natural in Shoreview up on Hwy 10 (north of Mpls.) has
Kinnickinik frozen bread products...

Jan from Fargo, ND (next to Moorhead, MN) wrote:

(At) the SpeakEasy in Moorhead, their Susan's Chicken is ok and comes with
apricot glaze, fruit & vegies but they serve a whipped butter with their baked
potato that I do not trust.

From Sue in Grand Forks, ND (next to East Grand Forks, MN)

In Grand Forks... there is a Japaneese restaurant called
Kon Nechi Wa's on S. Washington St. that is used to dealing with my gluten
free family.  They make sushi and stir-fry dishes that are gf - just ask.
I have also spoken with the manager at Brannigan's on 32nd Ave. and he
indicated that they do not marinate their meats prior to cooking or add
seasonings until after cooked.  They have a full menu with fish, shrimp,
chicken, ribs (BBQ sauce added later and can be omitted), burgers, and
steak.

The Hugo's grocery stores in E. Grand Forks, MN and in Grand
Forks all have a number of GF foods, cereals, etc.  Amazing Grains, health
food store, in downtown Grand Forks also has a good selection of things.  A
health food store in Fargo ... called Tochi's on N. 2nd Ave. also carries a
number of GF items, flours, etc.

There is also an Outback Steak House in Fargo...

By Roselyn.....