Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:31:30 -0700

It would be difficult to list the literally dozens of responses I received  regarding Ghirardelli's adding barley malt to their new milk chocolate bar and then using the same production line to produce their other chocolate bars and squares.

I want to expess my thanks those who also responded and then wrote to Ghirardelli to express their outrage and disappointment.  Many of you probably received the same response from Ghirardelli's that I did.  However, in case you didn't, this is what I received:

  "Thank you for contacting Ghirardelli Chocolate. In June 2008, the Ghirardelli Chocolate      Company started production of a new milk chocolate bar, Luxe Milk Crisp, which has an ingredient containing barley malt. As a result, the line on which our chocolate bars and squares are produced, will now share a common line with barley gluten.

The chocolate chips (60% Bittersweet, Semi-Sweet, and Milk Chocolate) line and powder line (hot chocolates and baking cocoas) will remain free of gluten ingredients.
Ghirardelli takes the following measures to reduce cross contamination on our production lines: lines are cleaned between the changing from one product to the next. The first two batches of any product made are disposed of and not packaged. "
Sincerely,

Shawna Ortez
Senior Consumer Affairs Coordinator
Ghirardelli Chocolate Company
1111 - 139th Avenue
San Leandro, CA  94578

While I'm a cynic, I still have hope that we will have some impact on their decision.  Thanks again for your support.  You're an awesome group.

Rita

Rita Malkin
The Gourmet Celiac Group