From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:32:22 EDT

A few weeks ago there were a couple of posts about GF soy sauce.  I'd
like to share with you the latest information we've gotten.  This
information applies to products produced and sold in the USA.

=======
La Choy
=======

Hunt-Wesson, Inc.  is the parent company for La Choy products.  They
sent us a booklet entitled "Food Sensitivities", which we received on
July 25, 1995.  According to this booklet, La Choy Soy Sauce and Lite
Soy Sauce both contain "...hydolyzed vegetable protein; [which] may
contain trace amounts of gluten."  I do not recommend that celiacs use
either product.

However, La Choy has two other sauces which they list as gluten-free:
Stir Fry Mandarin Soy Sauce and Stir Fry Spicy Szechuan Sauce.  I think
these are both fairly new products; we haven't been able to find them
yet.

Contact information:
     Hunt-Wesson, Inc.
     PO Box 4800
     Fullerton, CA  92634-4800

==========
Eden Foods
==========

Eden products can be found in some health food stores.  They sent us a
gluten-free product list which we received on June 24, 1995.  The list
includes two organic soy sauces that are GF:  Wheat-Free Tamari,
Domestic and Wheat-Free Tamari, Imported.  They specifically state that
their GF products contain no gluten as an ingredient or from packaging
and processing.

Contact information:
     Eden Foods Inc.
     701 Tecumseh Road