From:
"Karyn S. Friedman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 17:34:51 -0500

In a message dated 96-03-17 23:04:36 EST, Gary Roberts writes:

>People have disabilities, they are not the disability (e.g.; you would say
>"I have schizophrenia, paraplegia, diabetes, etc", rather than "I am a
>schizophrenic, paraplegic, diabetic, etc".)

This is true, and a very important point.  I have wondered in the past how
much these labels really affect people's true feelings on a subject.

I think it's good to try to be politically correct ("my son HAS autism and a
gluten intolerance"), but it's also ok to ignore it sometimes when someone
else is not politically correct ("your son IS autistic").  People are, in
general, well-meaning, and being called "a celiac" may not be as hurtful as
being abruptly corrected.

Thanks, Gary, for bringing this up.

Karyn