From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 20:57:28 GMT

> My 10 year old daughter is allergic to wheat--probably gluten also-- and I
> have been reading labels like crazy to screen out unwanted ingredients.  What
> exactly is Modified food starch?  Is it something we need to be watchful of?
>  I tried spelt bread for her but it caused a reaction.  Has anyone tried
> spelt?  What about Kamut?

In the UK the original food starch that has been modified can come from wheat,
so don't touch it unless you can confirm the origin (it might be corn which is
 OK).
I don't know what the term might mean in your part of the world.

Spelt and Kamut claim to be low in gluten, but are not *gluten-free* so Coeliacs
shouldn't eat them.

   Tim