From:
Bindle Durrance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bindle Durrance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:34:23 -0500

Dear List members,
I am sending part of some correspondence I had this week with the "makers"
of an instant Oatmeal I found on sale at a Natural Food store near me. I
think the Emails back and forth may be of general interest, given the desire
of so many celiacs to enjoy their morning oatmeal again.  Please do not
accuse me of trying to mislead or tempt newbies. I am not advocating either
way, nor do I have any financial interest in the company.  What you put in
your mouth is YOUR decision.  I have not yet made up my own mind about
trying it after I just recently had a miserable experience with Deland's
millet bread.  Probably not!  But I think you will see why I was tempted by
the wording on the box.

Naomi in Atlanta

MY ORIGINAL LETTER to Nature's Path:

Dear Sirs
         I bought a box of your Instant Hot Oatmeal recently at a Natural
Food store in Atlanta, but hesitate to eat any without asking you a
question:
         I have celiac disease (i cannot digest the gluten in wheat, rye,
oats or barley). The truth is that oatmeal in itself does not harm celiacs.
It is
the possibility of wheat contamination that causes gastroenterologists to
warn us not to eat oats.  The farming habit of alternating wheat and oat
crops in the same fields is the danger.
         When i read that your oats are organically grown and see that you
make a point of warning the consumer that there may be "traces of tree nuts
or soy" in the oats, i have hopes that these oats are NOT contaminated in
ways other than by nuts or soy (which do not bother me).
         Is there a possibility that these oats are contaminated by wheat?
I would appreciate your honest reply.

THEIR REPLY:

Thank you for contacting us about our hot oatmeal products. I cannot verify
that the oats are not contaminated with wheat. The product is made for us,
we
do not produce it in our plant, but of course we use a good manufacturer to
do that for us. However, even if they are careful to reduce the chance of
contamination of other ingredients there is no control over what the farmers
do or when it is milled. So I have to say that we leave it up to you to
decide. I would say that people with celiac disease should not eat it but if
you find that you can eat other oat products then you may choose to eat the
hot oatmeal.

I am sorry that I can not give you a definitive answer on this one!

Regards,
Consumer Affairs