From:
Bindle Durrance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bindle Durrance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:53:25 -0500

Recently I asked List members for help in ascertaining the exact contents of
1 cup of  "self-rising flour."

I was swamped with mail, to my surprise.  Most people wanted to know the
answer to my query; some wanted to offer solutions, and others wanted the
pumpkin cobbler recipe. Here goes!

The most common answer was

1 cup all-purpose flour with 1 1/4 (one and one quarter) teaspoons of baking
powder and a dash of salt.  A few people said 2 t. baking powder and 1/2
salt; they were the minority.  One kind person reminded me to add xanthan
gum for GF baking purposes.

I assume that by my altering the recipe to make it GF I am changing the
original sufficiently that I am no longer in danger of being accused of
piracy.

PUMPKIN COBBLER (serves 8-10)
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup GF flour (I used Hagman's featherlight flour mix)
1 ¼ t. baking powder
Dash of salt
1 t. xanthan gum (or a little less)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whole or low-fat milk
1 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 small can (5 oz) evaporated milk
1 can (30 oz) pumpkin pie filling (be sure to use one that calls for adding
eggs)
Preheat oven to 350. Cut the butter into 4 pieces and put them into a  9" X
12"glass baking dish.  Put the dish in the preheating oven to melt butter.
Meanwhile in a medium bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, Xanthan gum,
milk (not evaporated milk), and vanilla.  Remove baking pan from the oven
and pour flour mixture on top of the melted butter. DO NOT STIR.  Set the
mixture aside. Break the eggs into a 2-quart bowl; whisk them. Add the
evaporated milk and pumpkin filling. Mix well. Slowly pour or spoon the
pumpkin mixture on top of the crust batter in the baking pan. DO NOT STIR.
The crust batter should rise to cover the pumpkin as it bakes. Bake until
the crust is dark golden brown on top, about 50-60 mins.  Let the cobbler
rest for at least 20 mins. before serving.
Best served warm or room temperature.  Optional: vanilla ice cream or other
topping

Naomi in Atlanta
Naomi D. Durrance
2184 Heritage Trace Drive