Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 11:47:42 -0800

I have heard different ones discuss vanilla flavoring--here is the
"homemade vanilla" that I make and it works well and is GF.

HOMEMADE VANILLA FLAVORING
1 Vanilla Bean (Break into pieces--mine are about 1 1/2 inch in length)
1/2 Cup potato vodka or white rum (I use potato vodka)
pinch of sugar

Place in a jar with lid.  Shake and let set for 2 or 2 1/2 MONTHS.

It is then ready to use and the beans can be used again in a new jar.  I
don't know for sure how many times they can be used but I would guess 3-4
times.  I made one recipe.  As soon as I could start using that jar of
vanilla, I put the beans in a new jar and started a new one so I would
have more ready in another 2 - 2 1/2 months.  That kept a cycle going so
I would have plenty.  I purchased the vanilla bean at a health food
store.  Good luck.  ~~~~~Sharon in KS