From:
Renice Wernette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 16:43:54 -0600

I'm wondering about RAST allergy testing.

I told our doctor's PA that I suspected our 15-year-old has sub-clinical
and transient forms of CD (picky eating habits, chronic diarrhea, vague
tummyaches, that pale-skinny-model-waif look without effort), and asked if
they could test for serum antibodies, since we weren't keen on more
invasive testing for her. The PA, rather harried at the time, said she
didn't know about CD but would look into it. In the meantime, she drew
blood for a complete profile and also *apparently* for a RAST test for 102
foods. She hadn't told us about the RAST, and we unexpectedly received a
card from Immuno Labs in Florida with about 20 foods and sensitivity
ratings. On questioning, we were told that "the level of sensitivity is
rated on a scale of 1-4.  1+ is the least sensitive and 4+ is extremely
sensitive. Anything with a number, she should stay away from." Several of
her favorite vegies were +1s, her staples of milk & cheese were +2s, and
*wheat* was a +1.

Is this confirmation of my suspicions, or something else?

BTW, I'm also wondering if there is a hormonal connection with the
transient forms of CD? For example, the way it often seems to disappear
with adolescence, and the way all my malabsorption symptoms disappeared
while I was pregnant, and seem to continue to fluctuate with cycles.... Any
studies in this area?

Thanks,
Renice in Illinois