From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:21:42 EDT

Unity Efforts Update -

Some people are confused by what the purpose a unity group would be. Others
see the unity effort as a threat to their own support groups. The initial
purpose is to meet a growing need and desire of the celiac community to have
a unified group to speak with a strong single voice of agreement and support
from the celiac community in specific areas of concern; i.e., advocacy,
labeling laws, etc.  How this group grows and defines itself in the future
should be the responsibility of the group members.

I, personally, do not see that a group striving for unity should be a threat
to any of the current groups. Maybe as the group matures, that might change,
but it need not be so today.

Many good suggestions were sent in, offering ideas on how to start the
process and what this group should focus on. These ideas will be shared with
the facilitator and the group who meets. Thank you to everyone who shared
your ideas.

Several people from this listserv have expressed an interest in meeting to
discuss forming a united group. We have been offered a grant to allow this
meeting to happen with reduced expense to those who have responded to the
call to unite.

We are planning a meeting in the spring of 2003.

If your support group is interested in being a part of this effort, please
contact Cynthia Kupper at [log in to unmask]

Submitted by Nancy
Seattle, WA