From:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:08:06 -0400

Thanks to all for the many, many responses (7 pages' worth when copied and
pasted!) on my question about peripheral neuropathy.  I'm going to share
them all and it will take at least 3 e-mails to fit them all in.  Best to
all, Chara

Yes, I have the same symptoms and am under care of a Neurologic.  I'm older
then you are, but can't say it comes with age.  Get info from internet, good
sources.  I too have CD and it is a symptom of CD but WHAT isn't?  I have a
lot of trouble with my feet and legs at night.  My feet are always cold,
common complaint. My left fingers will become numb now and then.  MD watches
my complaint but yet not on any meds.  Diabetics are very prone to have same
complaints, is a circular problem. And this is not a diet problem as I was
diagnosed 8 yrs ago. No problems until 3 yrs ago.

When I was at my worst--even a year after diagnosis--my big toe tingled on
one foot.  It gradually went away.  I have tried to eat well, lots of
vegetables and fruit but less dairy, sugar and even gluten free grains.  I
haven't had tingling in my hands but have had tingling in my arm in bed when
I sleep funny on it.  Eat lots of green leafy vegetables.  Joel Fuhrman's
book on Eat To Live helped me a lot even though he never mentions celiac.

Yes, I had the same thing a few years ago.  Went completely GF and for me,
it cleared up.   Then I had my doc do Array 4 from Cyrex Labs for any link
to cross reactive foods. I went grain free when I learned that my body can
mimic gluten from some of the other grains.

I had awful peripheral neuropathy which could have been exacerbated by
pernicious anemia (autoimmune disease which causes B12 deficiency).

You might want to make sure your B12 is good. Very common deficiency in CD
patients.

My pain (horrible burning in palms and bottoms of foot) was resolved when I
had physical therapy. Turns out that nerve pinching was causing it. I got
therapy (mostly posture therapy), started lying on my stomach with a pillow
under my hips and several pillows under my head for 20 minutes each day and
that fixed the pinching. I also gained 1/2 an inch in height just by fixing
my posture (I'm now 52, was 44 then). There are some very good physical
therapists working with Wash U., that I highly recommend. Also, anyone in
Neurology at CAM (Center for Advanced Medicine) is good. I had Dr. Awadalla.

As far as going grain free...I'm on the Paleo diet, I think grains can keep
your immune system aggravated. I feel much better on paleo, but it also
involves cutting out legumes and dairy (which gives me headaches). Found out
I was allergic to beef and eggs while doing the elimination part of the
diet.  My headaches are 95% better, so I'm a believer.

Peripheral Neuropathy: When the Numbness, Weakness, and Pain Won't Stop
(American Academy of Neurology) [Paperback] by Norman Latov.  I took my
daughter to him and he did the most blood tests I've ever seen prescribed at
once.

http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-Neuropathy-Numbness-Weakness-Neurology/dp/1
93260359X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books
<http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-Neuropathy-Numbness-Weakness-Neurology/dp/
193260359X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340594657&sr=1-1&keywords=periphe
ral+neuropathy>
&ie=UTF8&qid=1340594657&sr=1-1&keywords=peripheral+neuropathy

I work in a top 10 specialty grocery and we have a major on site artisan
bakery. If I do not take my breaks outside the building the flour in the air
when I inhale too much will make my hands numb. Are you exposed any airborne
flour?

Please summarize for the list. I wonder about some similar sensations I have
had but they have not affected me significantly. The worst, which was akin
to the feeling of numbness + 'pins & needles' of my foot "falling asleep"
and would strike at odd times and I'd have to hold onto something for a
moment to avoid nearly falling over, went away after I went GF upon celiac
diagnosis in 2001.

Please think outside the "gluten box" for causes of your possible peripheral
neuropathy.  I encourage you to go to your doctor (and if she/he did not
take you seriously, find another) and have the cause identified.

 I had (and still have a little) peripheral neuropathy from taking too much
Vitamin B6 for years.  It was an amount that is within what is considered OK
for most people, but for me it was too much, and it caused numbness and
tingling, esp. in my feet and lower legs.  My daughter (at age 18)
experienced peripheral neuropathy (and other symptoms) as a result of a
deficiency of Vitamin B12.  B Vitamin deficiencies can occur in people who
have intestinal absorption issues (she has Crohn's disease) and in those on
a gf diet for a long time, because GF flours do not have B vitamin
supplementation like wheat based bread and cereal.

 The most common cause of peripheral neuropathy is diabetes. It can be
caused by diabetes, and many metabolic and neurological issues.

*******
*******