From:
Pixilated <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:59:12 -0700

I have received considerable mail regarding my post to the list.  I feel the
need for a clarification of my statement.

Here goes:

I was irked at the suggestion that by simply avoiding gluten containing
grains in your early years that you could prevent the inevitable.  If you
are wired to get celiac (genetically/hereditarily speaking) then you will
get it sooner or later.  Sooner or later it will manifest itself and there
is nothing you can do to avoid it from happening.  I say this realizing that
just because some members of a family have it does not mean everyone will
get it.  I understand enough about genetics to know that diseases can skip
some members of a family.

This is also not to say that I disagree with holding off for a year or two
on the introduction to known allergens in an infant diet.  My point was just
that if you are genetically wired to get celiac -  you will.  Obviously,
I was genetically wired to get celiac, and my early gluten free diet did not
keep me from getting it.

I'd hate to think of people following this Dr's logic and then not paying
attention to the signs and symptoms as the child matures and begins to get
sick.  Or worse still, the child grows up a "silent" celiac and finds out as
an adult they have serious damage done to them.

Lynda Swink

                           ..
\|/ [log in to unmask]  \|/ \|/ So.CA \|/ _@V