From:
"Barbara H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara H.
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:14:49 -0400

To those of you who I did not send a personal reply, I apologise. After awhile I
got overwhelmed. I appreciated your concern and you sharing your
experience. I received 23 replies to my request. Most had the surgery within
the last 5 years, some as recently as last month and one as long ago as 22
years.

All respondents reported a short recovery period, from 1 or 2 days to a week.
One or two were slightly longer. I think it might depend on general health,
individual differences in our bodies and surgeries and age. Most only needed
Tylenol for pain. Stronger drugs were not taken or did not prove beneficial for
the type of pain. Fatigue lasted 2 to 3 weeks.  Only 3 people reported diarreah
after the surgery which subsided except for one person who had increased
diarreah post surgery. [see naturopath note]. Most did not have to change
their diets. I was hoping to hear about better digestion and reduced food
sensitivities.

Some reported pain in the shoulder pain which is caused by the gas used to
inflate the abdomen for the surgery. The incisions themselves are small and
heal quickly (which I already knew).

One commented "Because I no longer had a gallbladder to produce bile my
naturopathic doctor recommended that I take ox bile capsules every day." This
was one of my concerns but I did not state it properly in my post. I think this
is a good recommendation and will be contacting my naturopath. One website
I found reported poor omega 3 fat absorption as a result of gall bladder
surgery. I will investigate this. The particular website recommended no surgery
which is irresponsible. My sister's bile duct was totally blocked. The surgery
was necessary.

One person reported to have "continued to have gallbladder-like pain (achy,
colicky) symptoms way past the surgery, which can signal the possibility of
several things...sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, pancreatitis, or a problem with
the common bile duct. "

One person suggested a gall bladder flush. I appreciate their well meaning and
but due to the size of my stone, I think this is dangerous. For a scientific
review I found the following website:  http://curezone.com/forums/fmp.asp?
i=413022

I received request for follow up after my surgery. I'll respond to those
individuals or if there is something of significance, I'll report it to the listserve.
Thanks again to all of you,
Barb