From:
Ed John Housey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:00:00 -0700

Hello,

I have a question regarding distilled vinegar.  Vinegar, I thought, was
another name for acetic acid.  Can anyone confirm this?  Acetic acid does
not contain any type of nitrogen component, therefore it is not a protein
and could not contain gluten.  Since "distilled vinegar" means that the
vinegar is obtained through distillation, then how can it have any component
of gluten?  The distillation process should not allow for contaminants to
be mixed with the vinegar.

Am I totally off the ball here?

Thanks!
Ed in Chandler, AZ