From:
Ed John Housey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:23:04 -0700

Hi all,

Here is a summary to my original letter, asking if Snickers are GF.  I received
lots of different responses, ranging from "I don't know" to "They're not on
my list" to "No" to "Yes".

I guess for now, since they seem to be bothering me, I'll be laying off them.
I can stick with Baby Ruth in the meantime, which everyone seems to agree
is GF, although it's a distant second as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks again to all who posted.

Ed
Chandler, AZ

The last time I checked M&M's were GF (plain and peanut)
Snickers also GF
I don't remember 3 muskateers
Milky way NOT GF
Hershey Bars all GF (except krackel)
Mounds and Almond Joy also GF
Rolo's are GF

That's all I remember!

Snickers are GF.  Life is good isn't it.  M & M's are also OK

Dusting packaging materials w/ non g.f. stuff is a problem w/ the some of
minature bars w/ Mars products & also Hershey's, I believe. Unfortunately I'm
not familiar w/ the specifics since I don't usually buy those.   Good Luck.

The 1995 edition of gluten free commercial products listing from CSA/USA
lists M&M's (almond, peanut, chocolate, peanut butter, mint and plain
flavors), 3 Musketeers, Mars Almond Bar, Dark Milky Way (regular has
barley), Peanut Butter Snickers, and Snickers with soy flour marked on the
label.  Their phone number is 908-852-1000.  You may need to check as
manufacturers change their ingredients from time to time.  I have found most
manufacturers to be very helpful.    [log in to unmask]     Ozark, AR

Hello Ed,

According to the Dutch GF-list M&M's are GF

Hi Ed,
I gather you are a "cholocholic" too.  Well, there's good news...not ALL
candy bars are placed on flour-coated conveyor belts.  The following candy
bars are all gluten-free:

Almond Clusters candy bars
Cadbury candy bars:  dairy milk chocolate, fruit & nut, roast almond,
    Easter cream eggs & mini eggs
Cella's chocolate covered cherries
Dove milk chocolate
Farley candies:  fruit flavored jells & juju & bears, giant jellies, gummy
    bears, jelly bird eggs, jelly rings, juju coins, jumbo jelly beans,
    orange lemon slices, speckled bird eggs, tiny jelly eggs
Ghirardelli chocolates
Hershey's Candy: 5th avenue, almond joy, caramello, hugs, kisses,
    milk chocolate, milk chocolate w/ almonds, mounds,
    Mr. Goodbar, Skor Toffee, Special Dark, symphony, symphony w/
    almonds, toffee chips
Jelly Belly jelly beans (all)
Lifesavers:  five flavor, mixed berry, tangy fruit, variety bag, wacky
    frootz, butter rum, 5 flavor, tangy fruits, island
    fruits, sour =91n sweet, sunshine fruits, wild fruits
Lindt chocolates (except gourmet truffles)
Mars almond bar
Milky Way candy:  dark, lite, & Easter eggs only (regular Milky Way
    does have gluten)
M & M's candy:  peanut, peanut butter, almond, Easter peanut
    pastels, Halloween peanut harvest
Nestle candy:  Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Chunky, O'Henry, Planters
    Original Peanut Bar
Nestle Sweet Success candy bars:  only  chewy chocolate peanut
    butter
Nips candies:  butter rum, caramel, chocolate parfait
Rolo caramels in milk chocolate
Snickers munch, snicker's peanut butter, regular snicker's bar
Starburst
3 Musketeers candy bar (reg.) (the "lite" does contain gluten)
Tootsie rolls (all varieties)

Hope this helps satisfy your sweet tooth!

My father, who is deathly (and that is the correct adjective) reactive to
gluten, has eaten Snickers (but having to spit out the peanuts), 3 musketeers
and Mars bars for the last 35 years.  They may not be 100% gluten free, but
they are good enough for him (and me).

Hi,
I believe that Milky Way, Mars and Snickers contain gluten, at least I know
for sure that they do in Germany. M&M's  are gluten free there.

I spoke with an M&M/Mars rep right before Halloween and was told that 3
Musketeers are GF.  If I recall correctly, my concern re: ingredients was
"natural flavoring" and I did ask specifically about the possibility of
cross contamination and if any flour was used on the belts or other
equipment.  I was told that all the ingredients were GF and that no flour
was used.  My only problem was not to get sick by eating too many of them
at once.

  Hi,
This is th emost recent list I have found:
3 Musketeers
Hershey's  : 5th Avenue
                   Almond Joy
                   Caramello
                    Hugs
                   Kisses
                   Milk Chocolate plain and with almonds
                   Mounds
                   Mr. Goodbar
                   Skor Toffee
                    Special Dark
                    Symphony plain and with almonds
                    Toffee
Mars Almond bar
Nestle : Baby Ruth
            Butterfinger
            Chunky-All
            O'Henry
Snickers munch,peanut butter and regular
Charleston Chews
Skitlles(regular,tropical, and wild berry)
Starburst(California, regular, tropical)
Tootsie rolls(all varities)
Reese's : Crunchy peanut butter cups
               Peanut butter cups
               Reese's peices
Rolo caramels in milk chocolate
Dove milk chococlate
Sunkist fruit rolls
Lifesavers
Sam's Choice (Wal-mart) Peanut butter cups
                                      Caramelcups

Ed, M&M candies are GF. I called the phone number on the package of plain M&Ms

Just received an 11 page list of Nestle Food Company Products with
ingredients that may cause allergenic or food sensitivity reactions.
Spoke with Krista Spence, 800-456-4117, 818-549-6818.  She sent out this
list the next day.  You can reach her Mon thru Fri from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.,
Pacific Time.  The list is divided by allergens:  egg, milk, soybean,
gluten (wheat, rye, oats, barley), and nuts/peanuts.  They ask that this
be used as a guideline only, the list may not be complete due to formula
changes and new product introductions, region and/or seasonal.  Please
read the product ingredient statement for the most current information.
That said here goes:

GF Nestle Chocolate and Confections:

Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Butterfinger BB's, Chunky, Goobers, Milk
chocolate (all items), Oh Henry!, Bittyfingers, Nestle Magic Milk
Chocolate,Milk Chocolate w/Butterfinger (nesteggs/jingles), Raisinets,
Sno Caps,Turtles

GF Pearson:

Butter Rum Nips, Caramel Nips, Chocolate Parfait Nips, Chocolate Mint
Nips, Coffee Nips, Licorice Nips, Peanut Butter Parfait Nips, Egg Nog
Nips, Irish Creme Nips

GF Baking Products -  Nestle:

Semi-sweet chocolate morsels, semi-sweet chocolate mini morsels,
semi-sweet chocolate mega morsels, milk chocolate morsels, mint chocolate
morsels, premier white morsels, premier white baking bar, semi-sweet
baking bar, choco bake, semi-sweet chocolate covered raisins, unsweetened
chocolate baking bar

GF Baking Products - Carnation:

Nonfat dry milk, evaporated milk, lowfat evaporated milk, skimmed
evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk

GF Nestle Sweet Success - NSS Instant:

Creamy milk chocolate (new stirrable formula), dark chocolate fudge (new
stirrable formula)

GF NSS Ready to Drink Cans:

Creamy milk chocolate, dark chocolate fudge, creamy vanilla delight,
chocolate raspberry truffle, rich chocolate almond, chocolate mocha
supreme, strawberries 'n cream, chocolate mint

GF NSS Fruit Based Drink:

Creamy orange peach, strawberry bananna, mixed berry, orange pineapple

GF Carnation Instant Breakfast - CIB Powder:

Creamy milk chocolate, French vanilla, strawberry creme, cafe mocha

GF CIB No Sugar Added Powder:

Creamy Milk Chocolate, french vanilla, strawberry creme

GF CIB Ready to Drink Cans:

Creamy milk chocolate, french vanilla, strawberry creme

GF Contadina:

Pizza squeeze - original, pizza squeeze - Italian, pizza sauce -
original, pizza sauce - Italian, pizza sauce - pepperoni, pasta ready - 3
cheese, chunky pizza sauce - 3 cheese, country Italian cooking sauce - 3
cheese

GF Libby's Gravy:

Country chicken gravy

GF Libby's Canned Meats:

Spreadables:  chicken, turkey, tuna, ham, lite lunch tuna, lite lunch
chicken

GF Lynden Farms Frozen Potatoes:

Taters, triangles, southern style hash brown potatoes, 3/8" french fries,
1/4" shoestring fries, crinkle cut fries, steak fries, spuds with skins
(5/16th" fries), spuds with skins (steakhouse fries)

GF Ortega:

white corn taco shells, yellow corn taco shells, tostada shells, taco
dinner kits, refried beans,hearty bean dip, spicy cheese dip, nachos,
cheddar cheese spread

Items that are missing from this list from all categories include any
combination of the following:  malt,malt extract, artificial flavor,
wheat protein,oats, wheat starch, wheat flour, malted milk, wheat bran,
toasted oats, oat bran, wheat,and hydrolyzed vegetable protein from
wheat.

Hope this helps.