From:
Yvonne Cruz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne Cruz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:07:41 -0400

I was born and raised in PR. You will have no problems in finding foods. The
basic staple are rice and beans served with fried sweet or green plantains and
chicken.  The root vegetables are different ,but quite good: yucca, yautia as
well as are the green bananas usually boiled and served with oil and vinegar
marinate. We use lots of onions and garlic. Fish is abundant and served in a
variety of ways.
On the dessert side, the flan, as well as the guava paste with fresh cheese,
are usually on the menus. Local  fruits are made into ices and ice creams.
Most quite tasty.
There are lots of high end , gourmet restaurants in San Juan, Condado, Isla
Verde etc, as well as the local restaurants . The people are wonderful (if I may
say so myself), and very accommodating. Trust me, their first concern will be
you. If you explain your concerns, they will do everything they can .
Enjoy , it is a great island.