From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:34:02 -0400

Went to Wheaton Arts Center in Millville, NJ, yesterday, one of my favorite places. Still have a working glass furnace, watched artists blowing glass, toured fabulous glass factory, saw other crafters...who made little things for my granddaughter. Just a lovely area to spend the day. (No admission free to walk the grounds and shop. You just pay to get into the exhibits.)

But the only place to eat is the Paperwaiter, just outside their gates. I knew this. I've been there many times.

Yesterday, however, I got a real ditz of a waitress. First, she brought me the wrong drink. Then, sensing that my simple, "I'm allergic to wheat"....(I know that's wrong, but it's the easiest way to go, sometimes), was already getting her on overload. I usually don't need the gf cards. This time, I selected what I thought was safe on the menu and gave her the gf card and asked her to check with the chef. She came back with such erroneous information, that I said...forget it. I'll have soda for lunch, while my husband and granddaughter eat. After a moment of stewing, I went up to the man who seemed in charge and he turned out to be the owner. No problem, says he. While the restaurant was nearly empty, their catering hall next door was holding a wedding. He said he caters all the time and gf is nothing new to him. I got a different waiter and the tuna salad platter that I wanted.

I wasn't looking for anything free. Just a gf meal. But what stayed in my head later on was that they didn't try to make amends. No apology.

I love Wheaton Arts, or Wheaton Village, as I know it. I'll go again, especially since I want to make an appointment to make my own paperweight or bowl, but I'll bring my own lunch next time or drive off the grounds to local fast food places. And there are picnic tables all over the park-like setting.

Just sharing. I usually have no trouble eating out, and do so often. I guess it's inevitable that we'll run into a snag every so often. I just won't give Paperwaiter another chance.

Lin