Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:48:30 -0400

I had an exchange student live with me several years ago who had both
celiac and diabetes.  Before she lived with us her diabetes had been
under very good control - during her time with us her sugar levels gfot
very elevated.  What I learned was that a lot of commercially available
gf foods here, and the foods I was home-baking, are made with white rice
flour which is terrible for diabetics - it has a very high glycemic
index (causing spikes and dips in blood sugar.)  So a lot of foods
celiacs have come to depend on - like rice crackers, and rice cakes, are
not good for the blood sugar.  If you can get stuff made with brown rice
flour, or with added rice bran, that's a small improvement.

The tips I learned about baking then I still use today, as they improve
the healthful content of what we eat.  I try to use brown rice flour,
buckwheat flour, soy flour, bean flours, etc. and search for products
which have these flours.  They are much lower on the glycemic index, and
also provide more nutrition - fiber, protein, and iron.  I also grind up
almonds and sun flour seeds to use in baking, and add flax seed meal to
my baking.  In this way I could adapt recipes from a regular gf cookbook
to better suit a diabetic diet.

I do not have info on exact carb counts or exchanges, as that was not
how she was taught to manage her diabetes (she was German - I guess they
have a different treatment approach there.)  For example, she did not
eat things like sugar-free ice cream.  She would just eat a small
helping of regular ice cream , and adjust her insulin.

Although this isn't exactly the info you were looking for, I hope it
might be helpful.  I found lots of info about the glycemic index on the
internet, and it helped me with menu planning.  It also helped me
recently to get serious about weight loss for myself- by focusing  on
eating low glycemic foods, I have been able to lose fifteen pounds,
which I am thrilled about!
------------------
I have had T-1 diabetes since 1971, DH since 1992, and CD since 1996.
Like for lunch today I had my famous Van's sandwich with a slice of cheese
two slices of ham mayo etc and a banana.  I took 5 units of novolog and that
 pretty well covered it.  It's the same most days.  That is a diabetes
newsgroup
I belong to but not many celiacs.  Alt.support.diabetes.  The majority of
these
people are T-2's and that is totally different.  Most of them are overweight
I have weighed 140 for 30 or 40 years.  I didn't answer many of your
questions
but I wish you well and I go on cruises, travel or anything that comes up so
it's
not that bigga deal.
I am not diabetic, but we run a GF B&B, since I am celiac.  We have guests
that have both, and they pointed out to me that Carol Fenster's cookbooks
are great because each one shows the nutritional information that make it
easy to change out.  You can find her books at www.amazon.com and just put
her name in there.