From:
Jules Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 14:24:47 PST

Jane Ehrenfeld writes

>I would still recommend
>reading the label because I am not certain where casein would fall.  I
>would think that a "pareve" item could not contain any milk at all
>including casein which is a milk protein but I don't keep kosher.

I do keep kosher, as well as being gluten-free AND totally
lactose-intolerant, and I've just joined your group.  Hopefully I can
clarify this question as my first contribution.  Products with casein cannot
be labelled "pareve".  They should be labelled "dairy" or the O-U symbol
with a little "D".  However, sometimes a product without any milk derivative
will have a little "DE" next to the kosher symbol.  This stands for "dairy
equipment" used in manufacturing.  I would be confident that the product is
dairy-free for lactose-intolerant people; it is only a warning for kosher
observers who keep separate dishes for "meat" and "dairy" foods.
"Kosher for Passover" is a good guide to gluten-free products, *provided*
you read the ingredients carefully and make sure there is no matzah meal
included.  The popular brands of gefilte fish contain matzah meal, even for
passover.  On the other hand, if no matzah meal (or other matzah product)
is mentioned, it must be free of gluten, since there are some Orthodox Jews
who will not eat any product containing matzah meal, even Passover matzah
meal, during passover.  By the way, last passover I ordered special oat
matzah for passover from England, in order to observe the requirement that
matzah be consumed.  Surprisingly, the effect was not bad, even benign,
although I have been avoiding oats too, of course.  So maybe there is
something to the idea (encountered in this list) that oats might not be so
bad.  There are always new products out for passover, so I will inform the
group if any exciting new gluten-free product comes along next spring.
J. F. Levin, Lit/Lang, UCR.  909 787 5007