From:
Heather Cline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:05:37 EDT

I received lots of ideas on promoting Celiac Awareness during the month of
October which is Celiac Awareness month. Thanks to all who responded!  I am
thinking of having a 5-10 K walk/run with sponsors to include local GI
doctors, health food stores and the like.  This would include press releases
to all newspapers and radio and TV stations.  The most popular response was
to get an article printed in a local newspaper or a story on television.
However, the trick is in getting the attention of the media outlet.  Here are
the responses:

1.  An article in the newspaper including info about  a celiac screening for
the Baltimore study would be a good idea.

2.  one idea is to survey local eateries (of various price ranges) about
their openness to clients with special dietary needs (not just celiac).
This combines the restaurants' appreciation of positive publicity with ways
to make everyone feel if not better at least welcome.  I am motivated by a
sign I recently saw in what used to be (i.e., pre gluten free) a favorite
eating place:  "No outside food allowed."  It is a place in which the only
thing I could now safely order was a hard boiled egg.

3.  I am getting my Health Plan to participate:  having pamphlets available;
writing an article for their publications.  Also am trying to see if some
bookstores might be interested in an educational night with books.

4.  Have a story written up in your local newspaper.  Have yourself or some
other celiac tell their story.  Go on the local TV news with your story.

5.  Print a good resume of the story of CD and how it is misdiagnosed, etc...
and call the local newspaper for them to print an article.  It is what I
did, with my story too, and they made it a full page with picture of me and
all.  You can have a few references at this site:
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages?msg=5464.3

http://app1.delphi.com/celiac/messages?msg=3842.12

6.  Go to your nearest bookstore.  Make a list of all the magazines which are
health-related, or that have an "Ask the Doctor" page.  Write down the
Editor's names and addresses.  Then compile a letter with an outline of what
Celiac is all about.  List a few of the symptoms.  Briefly describe the diet.
Describe the blood tests to ask for.  Emphasize the need to have the blood
tests first before going on the diet.

7.  I am planning a walk in conjunction with the local diabetic group.

8.  Set up a table with all the common foods most people use often, such as,
cream of mushroom soup, crackers, bread, cereal, etc. "What do these foods
all have in common?"

9.  What about doing something having to do with restaurants/eating out.
Perhaps we could get a few restaurants in local areas to offer a GF item on
their menus for the month.  Maybe we could provide them with
information/brochure or something that they could distribute to anyone who
asks what is Gluten free?  So we could provide public education but at the
same time, make eating out safer for us.  (Maybe some of these restaurants
would even keep the item on the menu permanently!)

10. I just received my proclamation signed by Governor Howard Dean of Vermont
declaring October 2000 "Celiac Awareness Month" in my home state.  I can use
this to request press releases in local papers and the television media.
Also, get a copy of this month's issue of Gluten-Free Living.  There is a
four page article about the  new nat'l spokesperson, quarterback Rich Gannon,
and many ideas and tools for a great publicity campaign!

11. One thing our group is doing for Oct Celiac Awareness month is contacting
the local TV stations and newspaper encouraging them to get out features on
CD.  We are also doing a mass mailing to all of the local gastrointerologists
so that they are aware of the existence of our support group.

12.  (JOKE) How about a demonstration with a bonfire where we can burn the
banned containers of food, like boxes of cereal!  That should get more
attention that a rational approach.

I hope this motivates some of you into action!

Heather
Oklahoma City, OK
USA