Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:12:19 -0500

After receiving 12 replies in 24 hours to my digestive enzymes posting, I
believe I have broken into a hornet's nest.  I also have messages from people
who are on both the cystic fibrosis and celiac lists who point out
similarities in and confusions between aspects of the two illnesses.

Cystic fibrosis is an inborn inability to use the chloride in salt properly
in cell membranes, and results in gobs of thick mucus being generated in the
lungs, sinuses, and various inner parts of the body.  The obvious result is
chronic infection of the lungs, with scarring and eventual death.  The less
obvious result is chronic ear and sinus infections, a wet cough, mucus
clogging the pancreas and liver ducts so that food is not digested properly,
fatty stools as a consequence of that, bloating and "indigestion."  People
with cystic fibrosis usually have trouble keeping a reasonable body weight
up, and tend to lose a LOT of weight when the illness is acting up.

My symptoms of celiac disease much more closely resemble cystic fibrosis than
they resemble "celiac disease," but I decided that the gluten free diet was a
good thing for me to try out in my search for health.  I receive both the CD
and CF lists, and have been comparing notes with other people who are on both
lists.

There is no question that, in SOME people, there IS a correlation between
going gluten free and relieving, at least in part, some symptoms of cystic
fibrosis.  In my case, I got off $500 a month worth of medications and went
"infection free" for the first time in 50 years.

I notice that the people interested in the enzyme/CF connection to CD are
like me -- they tend to not be able to tolerate milk or citrus fruits, and
some even can't tolerate soy products.

I am sending a separate message about the particular enzymes I am taking
right now.  They are widely available and appear to be relatively harmless,
as "health food" items go.

I feel that someone should notify the people on the CF list about this cheap
and potentially helpful possibility in treatment.  A gluten free diet is far
preferable to many of the excruciating treatments endured by people with
cystic fibrosis.

I wish a physician lurker on this list would intervene and consult with us.
 I have gotten in trouble previously for trying to post the identical message
to both the CD and CF lists, and don't want to rock anybody's boat right out
of the water.  But this is important.

Love to all,

Patty in San Francisco ([log in to unmask])