From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 00:27:15 -0500

There has been some misinformation going around about how distilled
vinegar is produced. I have talked with several manufacturers, The
Vinegar Institute, and several others that inspect the plants for kosher
compliance.

Distilled vinegar is made by fermenting a mixture of: distilled ALCOHOL
+ BACTERIA (aceta bacter) +NUTRIENT. After the fermentation is complete
the vinegar (if it is filtered) is filtered by by ultrafiltration or
using diatomaceous earth (DE).

The reason it is called distilled vinegar is because the basic
ingredient is distilled, just as the basic ingredient in cider vinegar
is cider and the basic ingredient in wine vinegar is wine.

As I learn more I will post to the list.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA