From:
Melissas Picchini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:34:03 -0400

Dear Friends,
Here is a recipe developed by my aunt (whose husband has celiac) many years
ago. She uses ingredients found in her local market. My son has "grown up" on
this mix since he was diagnosed at age 3 and is now 12.  He is now above
average in height and weight for his age and earned the Presidential Fitness
Award this year at school.

Aunt Sibyl's Baking Mix:

5c. cornmeal (Quaker is the only brand that I have found to be safe)
2c. instant mash potatoe flakes
1/2 c. corn starch (can use more for consistancy but will brown more
     quickly when cooking)
1/2 T. salt
3 T. baking powder
1/4 to 1/3 c. sugar
3 c. nonfat dry milk
Mix together dry ingredients.

CORNBREAD
2 c. dry mix
1 egg (or two egg whites slightly beaten)
1 T. oil
1 c. water (can use slightly less if you like)
Bake at 425 degrees F in an 8x8x2 oiled pan for 20-25min.
I have sucessfully used this recipe in larger pans and baked it for less
time. Cornbread is done when it pulls away from the side of the pan.  Don't
let it get too brown.

PANCAKES
1c. dry mix
1 egg (or 2 egg whites slightly beaten)
1 T. oil
3/4 c. water

Mix ingredients well and cook on a oiled skillet.  If you make this in
advance, the cornmeal absorbs the water and you will need to add more water.
 The benefit of this is that the pancakes have a smoother texture.  Ryan
complains if the batter has not sat for awhile.  He claims that it makes a
huge difference.
Also, I always use the egg whites because Ryan would be eating too many whole
eggs in his diet if I didn't. (Heart disease runs in our family.) Enjoy.
Melissa Picchini ( [log in to unmask])