From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 19:56:36 -0500

I've been getting a lot of questions about using cornstarch in place of the gf flours.

First of all, let me say that I absolutely HATE the so-called gf "flours"  They are awful..gritty, weird tasting and heavy.  In a word..gross.

Julia Child said that you can use cornstarch when you run out of cake flour.  I tried it and it worked great.  Then I ran into a professional baker I know and asked him if you could sub cornstarch for cake flour, could you sub it for reg ap flour. The answer was a resounding "yes"

I ran a taste test.  I made my killer brownies with reg flour and one with conrstarch.  The cornstarch won hands down.

There's only one difference between baking with cornstarch and flour.  With reg flour, you cannot beat the batter after the flour has been added...that rule doesn't apply to cornstarch...you can beat it with any damage to batter.

When cake is cool, cut and wrap tightly. It will dry out quicier than ap flour.

note ap flour means all purpose flour

I've posted recipes ..check archives