From:
Erich Stuberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:14:54 -0500

Here are a couple of bread recipes. I have not tried them yet.

this is an recipe created by a list srve member:

   Olivia's Gluten-Free Bread (for bread machine)

   3 large eggs (beat slightly by hand)
   1 tsp cider vinegar (wheat free - ingredients)
   3 Tbs. Canola oil
   1 1/4 cups water (as hot as will come out of your tap)
   Mix the above ingredients together, then place in bread machine pan.

   Add together:

   3/4 cup white rice flour  2 1/2 Tbs. sugar
   1 cup brown rice flour  2 tsp Xanthan Gum
   1/2 cup potato starch  1/2 cup tapioca flour
   1/2 cup dry milk   1 tsp salt
   1/2 tsp gelatin

   ****************

   Here's a good bread/bun recipe:

     1/4 cup warm water
     1/2 tsp. sugar
     1 T. yeast

     Dissolve sugar in warm water.  Sprinkle yeast on top.  Let sit for 10
     minutes.

     Prewarm oven to 200 degrees F.  When on temperature, turn oven off.

     Beat 3 eggs, scrape into separate bowl.

     Sift together the following:

     1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
     1 cup white rice flour
     1/2 cup potato/corn starch
     1/2 cup soya flour
     1 T. guar gum
     2/3 cup dry milk powder
     1/2 tsp. gelatin
     1/3 cup brown sugar

     Mix dry ingredients for about 3 minutes.

     While it's mixing, melt 1/4 cup margarine in microwave - about 30 sec.
     Add enough lukewarm water to make 1 1/2 cups.

     Add the margarine/water mixture to the yeast mixture.  Now pour the
     yeast/water mixture and the whipped eggs mixture simultaneously into the
     dry mixture while it is mixing.

     Let dough rise in pre-warmed oven for about 30 minutes, covering the bowl
     with saran wrap.

     Mix the dough for about 3 minutes, scrape into greased loaf pan.  Let rise
     in oven for about 45 minutes, or until dough reaches the top of the pan.

     Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.

     Keep in mind that this dough will be more sticky and runny than what you're
     used to, but it turns out just fine.

     There are three of us who are celiac in this family, plus two nieces, one
     nephew, and one sister of mine.

     If you want a good cinnamon bun recipe, just ask...

     -Geri

   Mix the dry ingredients together well and pour on top of liquid
   (liquid should be in the pan).  Spoon in on top of the flour:

   2 Tbs. butter (chunks of butter in several areas)
   1 Tbsp active dry yeast  (place in center of pan on
                             top of flour - make a small hole)

   I bake mine in the Zojirushi at the following settings:

   Warm:  15 minutes
   Mix:  18 minutes
   Rise:  43 minutes
   Bake:  55 minutes
   Crust:  Medium

   A few minutes into the mix cycle, use a spatula to scrape any flour
   off of the sides of the pan and into the batter.  The dough tends to
   bunch up around the beaters, so during the mix cycle I sometimes
   use the spatula to even it out a bit.  Batter should be about the
   consistency of frosting, and is VERY STICKY.  At the start of the
   rise cycle, I use the spatula to even out the batter and give it a
   smooth top before baking.

***********************

Not So Basic Rice Bread

     Mix wet ingredients in the following order then pour in your bread
     machine
     bucket:

     2 large eggs beaten well
     1 Tbsp soft butter
     1/4 cup low fat sour cream (gf) - preferably without additives
     1 tsp apple cider vinegar
     1 cup of warm water
In a mixing bowl mix well the following dry ingredients then pour on top of
     the wet ingredients do not mix:

     1 cup white rice flour - slightly rounded
     1/2 cup skim milk powder (not instant)
     1/2 cup potato starch
     1/4 cup glutinous (sweet) rice flour - slightly rounded
     2 tsp guar gum (or xanthan gum)
     1 tsp gelatin
     1 Tbp sugar - depending on how fast it rises in your machine
     1/2 tsp salt

     Sprinkle 2 tsp of Quick rise yeast on top of the dry ingredients
and start your machine.  I use Procter Silex on a medium whole grain
cycle with a round pan.  It needs minimal help with the initial mixing.
Your cycle should allow for the bread to rise about 2/3 of the pan
height then knead it again.  It may require some help to collapse the
top of the loaf but this is only necessary if you wish to add cheese,
onion flakes etc at this time.  I suspect it would be just as good with
a single rise.

When the bread is nicely rounded over the pan top the heat cycle is best
 started.  This bread can rise right over the sides if you have too much
 time, yeast, sugar or too warm water for your bread maker so experiment a
little and watch the cycles the first few times to see what's happening.

     It bakes in 35 to 45 minutes and will brown nicely.  Take it out of
the pan while it's still fairly warm to prevent condensation on the
sides and let cool to near room temperature before slicing.  I stand the
bread on end and slice it with the bread knife handle as one height
guide and a second cutting board as the other guide to get a fairly thin
and even slice.  Alternately you can stand it on end in a plate and use
the upper edges of the plate as a cutting guide.  Just don't tell my
wife her good plates