Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 16:05:52 -0400

Well, the results are in, but I will still add you to the survey and report
any changes periodically if you didn't get to participate.  With 95 people
responding, here are the results:

60 have had at least one small bowel biopsy.
We average being diagnosed for 6.3 years.  If there was a lapse of time
between diagnoses, I used the second one.
89 people have Celiac Disease
16 have dermatitis herpetiformis (a few others suspect it)
68 people live in the US
14 live in Canada
4 in the UK
2 in Australia
1 in Sweden
1 in Israel
1 in the Netherlands
40 are male
53 are female
2 unknown (I'm sure they know, but I couldn't tell from their signatures)
Average age(of those who reported age) is 30.8 with the ages ranging between
61 and 4 years.
There are 12 members under age 18.
States and Provinces represented were Wisconsin (1 person), Massachusetts
(3), Georgia (1), New York (6 with 5 from Cornell U.), New Jersey (2),
Illinois (2), California (9), Tennessee(5), Hawaii(1), Montana (1), Ohio (2),
S. Carolina (1), Ontario (4), Michigan (2), Victoria, AU. (1), Canberra, AU.
(1), Texas (1), Quebec (1), Chelmsford, UK (1), Iowa (1), British Columbia
(1), Alberta (4), Washington (Seattle) (1), Colorado (1), New Brunswick (1),
Oregon (1), Utah (1).

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being easy and 10 impossible, the average for
ease of diet was 4.  Most people found the diet easy at home, but very
difficult in public and when traveling.  Hidden sources of gluten were the
other major complaint.   Most people said that any diet was worth doing to
keep out of the bathroom.  And most think that our diet is a balanced,
healthy one.

I will re-read the letters and write more later since there were some
interesting points brought up, but this should give everyone something to
mull over for now.  I've enjoyed doing this and find this a very nice group
of people.  Thank you for your co-operation and willingness to share.

Denise in TN