From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 01:18:37 -0500

I've been gluten-free most of a year now and, having helped write the FAQ,
it came as no surprise to me as my reactions to contaminated food got more
and more severe for less and less quantity, but during the last month I've
had two episodes that I =think= are extreme reactions to mistakes in my
diet, but I'm not sure. I don't recall anyone else ever describing anything
similar.

The first case, I think I got a big dose of wheat in some Indian food that
(I asked three different sources) I was told was made with pure chickpea
flour. (Either the mixing equipment may have been contaminated or it may
have been fried with wheat-coated food. Or worse, it may have been cut with
wheat flour.) About three hours after that meal, I was incapacitated with
something that felt like the rapid onset of a bad flu: skin crawling,
vomiting and diarrhea, dizziness, hot and cold flashes, the works. Worse
still, later that night after a nap, my vision went all wonky (a glowing,
wiggling bright line across my view out of one eye, and inability to focus
on anything) and for days after I felt fuzzy around the edges, mentally and
physically. Yuck.

Just yesterday I experienced a milder form of the same thing. No diarrhea
though, which would be odd for me in a contamination-reaction.

Maybe I'm just catching lots of flus?

Anyway, if any of y'all have had similar reactions, please email me
privately, and I'll summarize to the list.

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX USA