From:
Herman Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herman Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:31:19 -0600

Hello all!  As usual you guys were great.  Some others were looking for some ideas as well so this is for you too.  Please excuse any typos, for I have arthritus and it kinda hurts. Here we go.

There was one online support group listed that contains a lot of recipes and great people doing a lot of experimenting.  I really would recomend this site.  Thankyou Mireille. It is at Delphiforums.com and scroll down for Celiac disease online support group.

Another site mentioned was http://newdiets.com/BreadsandSuchWaffles.shtml?Sorghumwaffles

**There were some great tips and suggestions, (I will mention first), plus one whole recipe mentioned,(I will do next).  And last I will mention a recipe I did.

Sub cup for cup for rice flour

Add 1/4 cup to everything

Use this mix one cup for every two cups of rice flour in recipe:
1 cup white rice fl
1/2 cup brown rice fl
1/2 sorghum fl
2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch

Use like wheat with alittle xanthum gum for pancakes, muffins, cookies, and cakes

7 parts sorghum plus 1 part arrowroot.  Sub for frice flour in recipe.  Buys 25lbs at Twin Valley Mills because that is all that they produce and sell.  www.twinvalleymills.com

For every two cups of rice use one cup sorghum and one cup rice.

Many commented on the lovely texture it gives.

Similar to bean flours.

Add 20% to 25% to mixes, it helps items stay fresh longer.

Bette Hagman, and I am sure other cookbooks mention sorghum as well.

ALMOND BANANA MUFFINS

1 cup almond flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tb baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/3 cup veg. oil
1 egg lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 med size ripe mashed banana

Preheat oven 375 degrees.  Combine first six dry ingredients in large bowl, set aside.  Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl. Combine both together, add nuts or fruit to batter if desired.  Prepare muffin cups, grease or line. Fill each 2/3's full.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Thankyou for this and I hope to try it soon for I have bananas left over.

WAFFLES (played with this only twice let me know if it comes out for you)

1 1/2 cups brown rice fl
1 cup sorghum fl
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 Tbs sugar, used powdered sugar or powdered honey
a shake of salt
1/2 Tbs baking powder
4 eggs separated, whites beaten until peaked.
5 Tbs melted butter
1 cup milk
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla, used powdered

Combined brown rice fl, sorghum fl, cornstarch, vanilla, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl, while the egg whites were beating.  Mixed egg yolks and melted butter in a small bowl.  Added both milks, and yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and mixed well by hand.  Then I added the egg whites now fluffy and mixed just enough to combine it all.  Then cook waffles according to iron instructions.  Came out wonderful.

Thank you all again, God Bless, Kristine