From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:29:50 -0500

Have any of you had success at Carrabba's?

I know GIG has worked with them to create a gf menu...which I printed out tonight, but the warning on the menu is ridiculous. I expect a hold-harmless statement. We know we're eating at our own risk, but they go to the trouble of saying they don't educate their managers and waitstaff...so we shouldn't ask them anything. My thinking is if they don't educate their waitstaff and managers, how do we know they'll bring us gf selections....correctly made?

It's not unrealistic to expect chains to educate their help to some degree. My son was a waiter for many years and he had to know his menus. Casa Lupita used to make their waitstaff take a comprehensive exam on their huge menu before they could wait tables. Maybe if we hold the staff to a higher expectation, they might just surprise us, but isn't it irresponsible of a place to offer a gf menu and not tell their management and waitstaff what it is? Do they tell the kitchen staff? You would think that any place that really cares about their customers would at least give them a heads-up, even though it would be unrealistic to expect them to be experts on it. But something?

I went to a new Carrabba's tonight....my first time, printed out menu in hand. But when I saw how crowded it was and had plenty of time to keep re-reading the warning, I opted to walk out.

Do any of you feel comfortable eating there?

Also, even though the entrees say they come with either garlic mashed potatoes or the vegetable of the day, there is really nothing on the gf menu to say those are gluten-free.

Anyone out there think it's worth a second try?

Lin

*******
*******