From:
Elizabeth Bartilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:11:29 -0500

Sorry if these are inappropriate questions. I'm confused about the terms
"grain" and "distilled." Is corn a grain, and are there other "grains"
besides those which contain gluten? Also, can distilled vinegar be distilled
from something that is safe for celiacs?

I am asking because of two product lines that are gf, according to the
companies. Popov gin 80 proof by Heublein was stated as being gf on this
list a few weeks ago, and also is listed in the new CSA/USA product listing
(which is great!), yet the bottle says "distilled from grain," as does the
vodka which is also supposed to be gf. Some of the Wishbone dressings that
are listed as gf (according to my phone call to the company and the CSA
book) have "distilled vinegar" as an ingredient. I thought both terms
indicated that a product was off-limits, but perhaps not? I realize that
these are only limitations according to U.S. guidelines, not Canadian. I am
only asking for help in understanding the terminology. Thanks for all the
great information here!

Elizabeth in Michigan