From:
Elizabeth Bartilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:59:47 -0500

Hi everyone,

I had 2 meals last week with a prospective employer. The meals were out of
town. Obviously, they made the decisions as to where to eat, and I didn't
know where I was going until I was there. One was a nice Italian restaurant
(lots of pasta, marinated chicken, etc.). The other was a seafood
restaurant, with an equally daunting menu. On both occasions, I had to go
through a big question/answer session with the wait person about PLAIN
chicken, PLAIN vegetables, PLAIN rice, no croutons, etc. I didn't use the
restaurant card -- perhaps that would have made it less uncomfortable. But
perhaps it would have caused the chef to be afraid to serve me! I have
another out-of-town meal Friday with yet another prospective employer. I
don't feel it would be appropriate to discuss my medical "condition." I
don't want to sound like I'm paranoid, in trying to avoid spices and
marinades, but I don't want them to think I am "ill" either. How have others
handled this type of situation? A dinner date is one thing, but a job
interview is quite another.

Thanks for all the great information.

Elizabeth in Michigan