From:
Jennifer Fabiano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Fabiano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 05:33:28 -0500

Thanks to all who responded.  The email below contains the gist of what I
received.  It seems as if it varies by restaurant which is similar to most
other restaurants.  I'll contact my local one and go from there -- thanks
again to all.  Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,

I've copied a post from April of this year which I had saved. Hope it
helps. I'm not personally familiar with the restaurant. Very nice idea &
good G/F luck with surprising your daughter. If this isn't the
restaurant for you I'm hoping list members will send good info. on
others - sometimes it helps to include the general area you live in on
the post since many of the mom & pop establishments can be easier to
work at times.

Arletta Johnson   / California

G/F means:  Good Food, Good Friends, Good Fun!
On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:14:39 -0500, kippiann wrote,

Sorry for the delay on the Summary of On the Border.  Below is the
response I received from On the Border Guest Relations.  After this is
the information I received from list members.  You make the decision
as to which to trust.  I choose not to eat there.  It isn't worth it.
Many thanks to each of you who responded.
---------------------------
Thank you for requesting nutritional information on our menu items. We
sympathize with your situation and would like to assist you in
determining which menu items would meet your dietetic requirements.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide this information.

Our restaurants stock many items that contain ingredients excluded from
your diet. Most processed foods contain derivatives of wheat. Therefore,
out of an abundance of caution and concern for your health, we cannot
recommend menu items that are gluten free due to the potential of cross
contamination or adulteration.

We appreciate your inquiry and wish you the best of luck.

Kristie Michie
Guest Relations
-------------------------------

We've eaten there several times and had no difficulties with the chips,
salsa, ribs, black bean side dish (soup?), and enchiladas.

Good luck!
Stephanie
------------------------------
I think it should be in the archives - if I recall correctly they
pretty much said that they could not say anything would be gf (they
understand cross-contamination issues and the busy nature of their
kitchens); they never did get back to me about their chips and salsa
in the grocery store, but I found them to be on the Delphi gf list, so
at least we have that!!  good luck, Hilary
----------------------------

Please summarize your results. I asked this question a few months ago
and only got 2 responses. One said not to trust anything. The other said
they eat there all the time. I called our local On the Border in
Amarillo, TX and the kitchen manager told me their hamburger has oats in
it, but he read me the ingredients for the beef fajita marinade and they
seemed okay. I have the beef fajita salad without cheese or sour cream.

I also eat the chips and salsa, but I am sure there is a big chance of
cross contamination with the chips since they fry other things in the
same greese.  It's my favorite place to eat and since I hardly ever eat
out anymore I take the chance.  Let me know what you find out.

Cheryl
--------------------------------
For a list of 50 restaurants and their GF menu items got to
www.goodhealthpublishing.com. There's a restaurant list and a printable
order/info form.

Jeff
-------------------------------
Boy, do I!!!
They are wonderful!  Well, at least the one I go to is.  The managers
wife has celiac and he said we can eat the chicken fajita meat, NO
ONIONS!  the marinade them in soy sauce.  Beef fajita meat, same
thing, no onions.  Chips are ok, queso, salsa, all ok.  There may be
other items, but that's all I eat so that's all I know about.  But do
ask the manager at the On The Border you will visit.  And I hope you
have the same delightful experience I have had.

Later,
Wendy

At one of the On the Borders here in our area, the manager's wife as
CD.  He spent an hour one night going over the ingredients for
everything they have.  Just about the only thing you can't have there
are the flour tortillas and the grilled onions that they use in the
fahitas.  The fahita meat, the enchiladas, rice, beans, salsa, chips,
queso are all safe.  Betty/TX

Hope this helps!
kippiann