From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 12:33:29 EDT

Melissa Picchini wrote:

> PAM vegetable spray does contain gluten.

I'll ask the usual question:  What reference can you cite to back up
this statement?

PAM is produced by American Home Food Products, Inc.  A letter from the
company dated July 3, 1995, and signed by Genevieve Ferrara states that
PAM Cooking Spray does not contain any gluten.

To further back this up, I'll list the ingredients taken straight off
of a pump-type bottle of PAM:  canola oil, grain alcohol from corn, and
lecithin from soybeans.

Some celiacs have sensitivities to canola oil, corn, or soy.  For these
individuals, PAM might cause some sort of bad reaction.  However, this
is NOT a gluten reaction.  Celiacs that don't have these additional
sensitivities should be able to use PAM.

Contact info:
     American Home Food Products, Inc.
     Five Giralda Farms
     Madison, NJ  07940-0873
     (800) 544-5680

-----------------

I'll ask again:  please be careful to state facts, not assumptions,
regarding a product's GF status.  Please list the source of whatever
information you post.  If your statement is based solely on your
reaction after using a product, then be sure to say so.  Newly-
diagnosed celiacs find conflicting information such as this to be
particularly troublesome, at a time when they are already feeling
overwhelmed.

--
-- Jim Lyles
-- Holly, Michigan, USA