From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:57:51 -0400

The big difference between people who have peanut allergies and people who
have celiac disease, is that an ingested peanut can cause anaphlactic (I
don't know how to spell that!) shock and sudden death, while ingested
gluten usually causes injury to villi and diarrhea, followed by slow death
over many years.  I realize that a few celiacs have the same kind of
anaphlactic shock reaction to gluten, as well.

  If you happened to sit next to someone who died on an airplane because
they had breathed peanut fumes, you would understand.  I've never had that
experience, but I do have a friend whose husband died of a similar
anaphlactic shock after eating a dish that contained hidden shrimp bits
when he was allergic to shrimp.

I'd rather have celiac disease, and I have no envy of those with
peanut/crustacian, and other severe food allergies.  Let's admit that
others can have problems even more dangerous than ours, and be sympathetic.

Gayle Kennedy