Jeanean Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 08:16:04 -0500

Greetings,

I attended the conference in Rhode Island in October and my favorite
concurrent session was the woman who talked about traveling and emergency
kits.  Unfortunately I don't remember her name but I found her quite
informative.  I was so inspired that I made emergency kits for my
sister(celiac) and mother(diabetic) for Christmas gifts.  Within 24 hours
they had stocked their cupboards with the items from the emergency kits.  Oh
well...

But anyway,  the wonderful lady from the conference had talked about
pre-packaged meals from Tamarind Tree which are gluten-free Indian dishes
that just need to be microwaved.  When packing for long trips, dimensions
are important and these are a couple of inches tall.   Just recently at my
local health food store, I found a pre-packaged Indian meal (no
refrigeration required)  from Tasty Bite that is less than an inch tall.
They tout innovative packaging technology from Japan.  I bought one but
haven't tried it (my microwave is in the repair shop - it went on strike
from the abuse it gets from cooking brown rice).  I'm thinking not four star
but good for certain situations.  I also e-mailed them and received this
reply

("All our products are gluten free. Hope you enjoy them! "
Sincerely,
Meera Vasudevan)

Check out www.tastybite.com.

Doing more than surviving,
Jeanean Davis
Edison NJ, USA

P.S.  Does any one know how to prepare brown rice without it making a huge
mess?