From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 21:05:15 -0400

I received some very good information about Macaroni Grill.  This info
is obviously the result of some very hard work by Melanie R. Psaltakis
of a monthly column called "Defensive Dining" for the Alamo Celiac
Group.  Her feature for the June issue was Macaroni Grill.  Here's the
VERY important information she provided:

To write the
article I sought information from Macaroni Grill's HQ, as you did, and
received a similar reply.  I pressed the issue a little bit more,
though,
and received more specific information.  That, in addition to talking
with
the manager and chef of a local Macaroni Grill, is the basis of the
information I shared with our group.

Here are a few of the specifics:
1) All of the chicken arrives at the restaurant pre-marinated, and
unless
you can verify the ingredients, don't eat it.
2) Most of the meats get marinated after arrival at the restaurants.  If
you
call ahead, you can request a serving of non-marinated meat.  On a
recent
spur-of-the moment trip to Macaroni Grill, I was still able to order
plain
veal, and have it cooked without a flour dusting, in butter.
3) They will usually substitute steamed vegetables or vegetable kebabs
for
the pasta side-dish.  Be specific about seasonings.
4) The fish dishes can usually be prepared GF but you must.  Again, be
specific.
5) The only sauces that are GF are the tomato and ragu.  The others
contain
flour or hydrolyzed gluten that can be derived from corn, wheat, or soy.
If
you wish to eat one of these other sauces, you must verify the
ingredients.
6) By all means, talk with the manager of your local restaurant about
bringing in your pasta, and make sure it's cooked in a clean pot with
clean
utensils.
7) Remember to take along some GF bread for your own dish of the olive
oil
dipping sauce.

Finally, contact Brinker International, the company that owns Macaroni
Grill, as well as Chili's Bar and Grill, Corner Baker Café, On the
Border
Mexican Grill and Cantina, Maggiano's Little Italy, Cozymel's Coastal
Grill,
Big Bowl Asia Kitchen, and Rock Fish Seafood, and urge them to provide
an
allergen matrix for all their menus at all their restaurants.  If
Outback
and P.G. Chang's can do it, so can Brinker.  In the meantime, build a
good
relationship with the manager of your local place and dine defensively!