From:
Heather Cline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 12:42:58 EDT

Thanks to all who responded to my request for a gluten free decongestant!
Here are the responses:

<<Melaleuca also has a product called CounterAct that is a great sinus
headache reliever.  It works to relieve congestion and the other symptoms
without making you drowsy. [  ] You can read about Melaleuca and the products
they offer by direct order at http://melaleuca.com>>

**

<< Call the folks at stokes  ... http://www.stokesrx.com -- I think ...
Anyhoo, I have always lived by Alka Selzter Cold Plus for decongestant
action. I have seizures, so have been barred from taking the standard stuff
... Natch, Bayer won't confirm/deny GF status of Alka Seltzer, so I called
stokes, snuffing into the phone, and it thwocked on my doorstep two days
later. Worth the wait  [   ] may want to take a peek at a GNC store ... I
noticed this weekend their bottles [most of 'em, anyway]  now say "free of
starch, corn, wheat, gluten"  ... etc. but the gluten word was
right on the label. They may have some cold remedy thang. >>

**

<<  My husband uses Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Med.  It is on the safe list and
he has no problems with it.>>

**

<< I take Allerest, which is over-the-counter and has both a decongenstant and
a decongestant/antihistamine version.  When I was diagnosed with CD late
last April (1998), I checked with the manufacturer and was assured it was
gluten-free.  I haven't checked since then.  The manufacturer is Novartis
Consumer Health, Inc.; Woodbridge, New Jersey
800-452-0051.  You can also check its web site at
http://www.novartis.com/index.html .  Also, for a more complete list of
alternatives, with manufacturer contact information, you can go to:
http://www.pollen.com/about_a_antihist.html .  This section of the site is
about antihistimines, but there is information for contacting other
pharmaceutical companies, many of which may have decongestants.  >>

**

<< sudafed >>

**

<<  I use an herbal remedy made by Red Apple Herbs.  It's the one for
allergy/hay fever/asthma/sinus.  I have an old one with a black lid that's
labeled #31a.  The main herb is stinging nettle.  So, if you can't find Red
Apple Herbs at your local health food store, try to get some pure stinging
nettle.  It works in 20 minutes, but only lasts about 2 hours.  But there
are no side effects and it's gluten-free.  Also do what's called a "sinus
rinse."  You take purified water at room temperature, add some salt, and
then "snort" it through your nose, and spit it out through your mouth.  And
if you don't get any relief from either of these, take 2 packets of
Emergen-C (it's all gluten-free), one in the morning and one at noon, in a
glass of water, drinking slowly over a period of a half hour.  Emergen-C is
packed full of Vitamin C, all the B vitamins and electrolytes and zaps just
about everything from hay fever to the common cold.>>

**

<<According to Stoke's book, The Comtrex stuff is gf:  Allergy-sinus
Deepchest cold & Cold & Congrestion Relief Maximum Strenght Max strength Day
& Night Max strength Non-drowsy  Max Strength Non-Drowsy Cold & Flu Relief
Max Strength Cold & Flu Relief  >>

**

<< I used to use Claritin D which I was told by this list is GF.  It is
prescription.  Then I found a natural dietary supplement which worked even
better.  It is called Tahitian Noni Juice and it is the fruit from a tree in
Polynesia also called (Morinda Citrifolia). If you want you can research it
on the web (later name).  It is a natural antihistamine and it also helps
with a host of other of my CD problems and my digestion and arthritis and
muscle problems. >>

**

<<Try Tylenol/Cold capsules. They are on a gluten-free list.  >>

**

<< clariton  >>

**

<< Might want to try white pine needle tea.  Not available in stores but on a
tree near you.  White pines have long (2 1/2 inches) soft needles bundled in
groups of 5--that's how you idenfy them. Rinse needles to remove dirt, then
make a tea w/ boiling water, allow to steep. (Add sugar before drinking, if
you still can taste, because it taste like swamp water.)  It contains a
natural expectorant & will relieve congestion.  I first tried it at the
suggestion of my son on the day of my son's Eagle Scout award ceremony--He
found it in his medicinal plants book.  I was desperate & don't don't
tolerate decongestions well, even if they are g.f.  Much to my surprise it
worked. I know where the white pines in my neighborhood are when I get
desperate. >>

**

<< Comtrex Deep /Chest Cold and Congestion Relief is GF, according to the
Stokes Pharmacy "A guide through the Medicine cabinet."  >>

**

<<Walmart has a liquid decongestant--Equate Triacting expectorant--I take it
and it is great--GF, too  >>

**

<<My daughter, who has celiacs, has been able to use Comtrex, non-drowsy cold
& cough relierf (multi-symptom), Sudafed non-drowsy maximum strength nasal
decongestant, Vicks DayQuil liquiCaps multi-symptom cold/flu relief also
non-drowsy.>>

WEBSITE:  http://www.idsl.net/celiac/day2day/day2day.htm#pge

Thanks everyone!

Heather