From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 1995 08:40:06 -0400

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Quick and Easy Muffins (Gluten Free)
 Categories: Muffins, Breads, Gluten-free
      Yield: 8 servings

    1/4 c  Sugar
      2 tb Shortening
      2    Eggs
      1 c  GF flour mix (recipe
           -follows) or all rice flour
    1/4 ts Salt
      2 ts Baking powder
    1/2 c  Milk or nondairy liquid
    1/4 ts Vanilla

  Quite awhile ago, someone was looking for Gluten-Free recipes. Since
  I have developed severe allergies to grains, it was suggested to me
  by somneone here on the echo that it could be the gluten content that
  was giving me trouble.  So I decided to try the gluten-free grains.
  The gluten-free grains do not interchange readily in baking recipes.
  A few days ago, I happened upon THE GLUTEN-FREE GOURMET Living Well
  Without Wheat by Bette Hagman at the Half Price Book Store. This book
  is a real gem and I hope whoever was looking for gluten-free recipes
  sees this msg. We have tried a couple of the recipes and they really
  are pretty tasty--- I hadn't eaten a bakery item in over 3 months!
  Here is the muffin recipe that I made on Easter morning and everyone
  thought they were good.

  In the mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Then beat in
  the eggs.  Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder and add
  to the egg mixture alternately with the milk.  Don't overbeat. Stir
  in the vanilla. These are best mixed by hand. Pour into greased
  muffin cups. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
  Makes 8 muffins.

  GF(Gluten-Free flour mix):    2 parts white rice flour 2/3 part potato
  starch flour 1/3 part tapioca flour

  Source: The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman

  NOTE:  I poured half the batter in the muffin tins and sprinkled a
  mixture of cinnamon and sugar over the batter. I covered with the
  remaining batter and sprinkled the tops with more cinnamon and sugar.

  Posted by Patty Smith. Reposted by Fred Peters.
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Delectable Date Muffins
 Categories: Breads, Gluten-free
      Yield: 12 muffins

  1 1/2 c  Rice flour
    1/2 c  Brown rice flour
      1 tb Baking powder
    1/2 ts Xanthan gum
    1/2 ts Baking soda
    1/4 ts Salt
      1 c  Low-fat buttermilk
      2    Eggs; OR...
    1/2 c  - frozen egg substitute
           - (thawed)  OR...
      4    -Egg whites
      3 tb Vegetable oil
    1/3 c  Orange juice concentrate
           -- (frozen), thawed
      1 tb Grated orange peel, optional
      1 c  Chopped pitted dates

  Combine rice flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, xanthan gum,
  baking soda and salt in large bowl.  Whisk together buttermilk, eggs,
  oil, juice concentrate and orange peel in medium bowl; stir in dates.
  Make a well in center of flour mixture; pour in liquid mixture, and
  stir to combine. Spoon batter into lightly greased muffin cups.  Use
  back of wet spoon to smooth muffin tops.  Bake in 425 degree F. oven
  18 to 20 minutes.  Turn muffins onto wire rack to cool.

  Each muffin provides: * 182 calories * 4 g. protein * 5 g. fat * 32 g.
  carbohydrate * 2 g. dietary fiber * 38 mg. cholesterol * 186 mg.
  sodium

  *** Variations *** Maple Rice Bran Muffins: Use 1-3/4 cup rice flour
  and 1/4 cup rice bran for flours; substitute 1/3 cup maple syrup for
  orange juice concentrate; add 1 cup chopped apples, 1 cup raisins,
  and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon; omit orange peel and dates.

  Double-Corn Muffins: Substitute 1/2 cup cornmeal for brown rice
  flour; omit orange juice concentrate; add 1/4 cup water, and 2
  tablespoons honey; add one 8-3/4-ounce can corn kernels, drained, or
  1 cup frozen corn, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes; increase salt to
  1/2 teaspoon; omit orange peel and dates.

  Source: Basic Rice Recipes for those with allergies Reprinted with
  permission from USA Rice Council Electronic format courtesy of Karen
  Mintzias
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Almond Rice Muffins
 Categories: Breads, Easy, Gluten-free
      Yield: 12 muffins

      2 c  AM Brown Rice Flour
      1 tb Non-alum baking powder
      1 tb Arrowroot powder
    1/4 c  Honey
      1 ts Almond extract
  1 1/4 c  Water or soymilk
      2 tb AM Unrefined Vegetable Oil
    1/2 c  Ground almond

  Mix dry and liquid ingredients separately, then combine the two and
  mix thoroughly (this is a thin batter).  Fill 12 paper muffin cups
  2/3 full and sprinkle tops with almond.  Bake at 350 F. for 25-30
  minutes.

  Source: Arrowhead Mills "Recipes for Special Dietary Needs" tri-fold
  Reprinted by permission of Arrowhead Mills, Inc. Electronic format
  courtesy of: Karen Mintzias
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Gluten-Free Orange Muffins or Quick Bread
 Categories: Breads, Easy, Gluten-free
      Yield: 1 loaf

  1 1/2 c  AM Millet or Rice Flour
    1/2 c  AM Soy Flour
      1 tb Non-alum baking powder
    1/2 ts Sea salt (optional)
    1/4 ts Orange flavor
      1 c  Water or orange juice
    1/4 c  AM Unrefined Vegetable Oil
    1/4 c  Rice syrup

  Combine all dry ingredients.  Mix all liquids; add to dry
  ingredients. Pour into well-oiled pan.  For muffins, fill cups full,
  bake at 375 F. 15-20 minutes.   For bread, bake 35-40 minutes or
  until done.

  (Yield: 1 loaf/12 muffins)