From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:39:06 -0700

Well, Listmates, I have waited to summarize this subject because I was hoping
that one of the many things I have tried lately would help and I could give
you all some hope (many people wrote and asked for a summary because they were
having similar skin problems).  However, as of yet I have had no improvement.

Quite a few people suggested that the large number of pimples and their
difference from pimples I have had in the past could mean they are actually
DH.  However, I doubt this because they have gotten worse since I've been GF,
not better, and since I had DH on my knees and tush when I first went GF (more
than a year ago).  This is different.  If you happen to have this problem,
however, one person suggested that Blue Star Ointment (can be bought over the
counter) works well on DH rashes.

Another suggestion I got was to consume more zinc.  This was backed up by the
research I did (very hepful was a book about supplements by somebody
Lieberman), which said one of the minerals Celiacs don't absorb well is zinc.
And the books I've read mention that a symptom of a lack of zinc is pimples.

Other supplements suggested were Inositol and evening primrose oil.  I
haven't read a whole lot on them yet, but there is information about them on
the web for those of you who are interested.

A few people suggested vitamins A & E and mentioned that some supplements
(especially those which cleanse the body from inside out) will make acne
problems worse before they get better, as the body is cleansing itself.  I am
taking a antioxidant, so this could be part of the problem.

One person wrote to say that her skin problems all are food related.  Soy was
a big one for this person (I don't want to cut out anything else, but I might
try cutting out soy for a week or two just to see...)

Quite a few people mentioned that they believe skin problems are naturally
related to digestive problems and that malabsorption naturally causes trouble
with the skin. (I agree this makes sense, but I don't wanna just wait it out
- some said it was three years until theirs cleared up! - I want to get some
medical help to help my skin through this mess!)

Other suggestions were to make sure I eat enough fruit and veggies, have good
hygiene, etc.

Many people suggested that I go to the doctor, which at first I really didn't
want to hear.  It's embarrasing to talk about pimples, especially right in
front of the doctor who could say something such as, "Gosh, you really DO look
bad...can't you take care of your own skin properly?!"  I know it's
unrealistic to be anxious that my doctor would respond that way, but it still
concerns part of me.

It was also suggested to me that I cut dairy and eggs out of my diet to see it
that helps.  I haven't been eating either for a couple months now, hoping it
would help, and it didn't, so this suggestion didn't work for me, either.

I have thus decided that I will go to the doctor on Monday.  I know there are
many kinds of skin conditions which require medication to clear up
sufficiently, and I'm hoping my case is one which is quick and easy to heal.
Even if my problem is food or malabsorption related, medication will probably
be able to help me get through the adjustment period (though I've already
been GF for a year) with less frustration and less trauma for my skin.

Good luck to those of you with similar skin problems, and I hope you are able
to get rid of them soon.

-Christie in Chandler, AZ