From:
RICHARD LOCKLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:36:32 GMT-10

There is a company here called Medical Innovations which put out a
Gluten Testing Kit a few years ago. It retailed for about $60
(Australian) and was good for 8 tests. The test is carried out by
placing a small piece of the suspect food or fluid in a test tube,
adding chemicals and observing change of colour, the measure of
blueness resulting being representative of the amount of g;luten.

I bought a kit and wrote a review of it in the Australian Coeliac
magazine, Dec 1992 issue. My review was not really favourable on the
grounds that it was: expensive, accurate only within the bounds of the
International Standard of .03% level of gluten present, not suitable
for use in restaurants but mainly on the grounds that what one tested
one week could well be different the week after.

The test is still avalailable at about the same price and I gather a
consignment of the kits has just been shipped to Italy, but only six
tests per kit.

The dipstick format of the test is still being researched by the
company but I hear progress is slow and there are quite a few
problems holding things up.

I will not buy another kit at the price it is unless it becomes more
accurate and 'user friendly'. There is really  no substitute for
label reading, each time you buy something.  It is obvious from the
postings that it is not just in Australia that manufacturers change
ingredients to suit themselves and their profitability.

The Company does not have an Email address but I could pass on a Fax
number if anyone is interested.

RICHARD LOCKLEY
3/757 BURWOOD RD
EAST HAWTHORN