From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 01:06:43 -0400

Dear Ayn & other listmates:

After reading the summary posted today, I felt that the slant was still
that this is a terrible pronouncement to receive - that one has celiac
disease and must forevermore eat only gluten free foods, must always be
read labels, check and double check with pharmacists & manufacturers and
have to tell friends, work mates, and other acquaintances that they have
dietary "restrictions" when there's talk of getting a bite to eat. I still
read that a person with "special" food requirements becomes an unpopular
choice to include in spontaneous or planned eating out engagements. And I
read that it is especially hard for single people to live a "normal" social
life when diagnosed as a celiac.

Right after reading the summary, I revisited my copy of Vegetarian Times,
the issue with Ann Whelan's article on celiac disease. As I thumbed through
the magazine, I went past Ann's piece and carefully reread the article on
how to order food in restaurants - an article written for vegetarians who
eat out with "meat eating" friends, but which is just as timely for us.
It's called "Menu Savvy" and explains how you can order a great meal anywhere.

Some of the very insightful suggestions include:

1. if plans are being made in advance, have the restaurant fax you a copy
of their menu

2. or, if after looking at the menu, you don't see anything interesting,
give the restaurant a call and make a special request

3. avoid "chain store" restaurants that can't make food to order and
suggest a few good restaurants to friends that you are familiar with

4. consider putting together your own meal by combining appetizers and side
dishes

5. request a side dish or appetizer be served as a double portion

6. request a restaurant prepare a dish in a way other than listed on the
menu - veggies can be steamed, can be served with seasonings rather than
with sauces, caesar salad can be served without croutons

7. you can even substitute steamed rice in a dish that is usually made with
wheat noodles, if the restaurant has rice as a subtitute choice on the menu

Most of these suggestions can also be applied when you are invited to eat
at someone's house. And of course, when you are invited to a private home,
it is a wonderful opportunity to offer to bring a food item along which you
can make sure is gluten free.

My personal experience when I bring a gluten free entree or dessert to an
event is that everyone wants some, 'cause "surprise" it tastes good!

I would personally never warn someone about how horrible their life will be
as a celiac anymore than I would warn someone who has any other drastic
change in their life that their life is now going to be just awful. I think
it's better to let the person know that if/when the going gets tough,
you'll be there, along with other friends, to help through the narrow
passages.

When I hear that someone has been diagnosed with celiac disease, probably
the first thing I say is "isn't it great that someone finally figured out
what was wrong" and the second thing is that there's lots of food choices -
regular & ethnic - so if you have to have a life-long disease, this one
isn't going to be as difficult to deal with as others.

Ayn, let your friends know how important it is for you to always have
gluten free foods, and I promise your friends will stand by you. (You may
have to remind them a few times, but they do eventually remember.)

Helen in Vancouver, BC