From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:25:59 -0500

Wow!

52 answers in no time flat!

Of course this is a big issue, as most of us know that even if you
are asymptomatic, a tiny bit of gluten can still cause damage.

The lesson seems to have sunk in:

41 people said classified themselves as super-vigilant.

3 of those say they were super-vigilant despite not being
particularly sensitive.
One gets no symptoms except gas. One has "mild" symptoms, and one has
none at all.

11 classified themselves as semi-vigilant, defined as follows:

"When in doubt, sometimes I don't do without."

Another said "semi" because she was willing to use the kitchen after
cleaning it up after her husband made flour-coated fried chicken.

A couple of people classified themselves as "semi" because they eat oatmeal.

Another said she is vigilant at home, but takes her chances at a
dinner party when her friends say they've made her food gluten-free.

And another:
  "I am not sensitive at all and don't hesitate to get fries or
a grilled chicken salad at McDonalds  I also drink Bud Lite
because they assured me it is gluten free, but may affect some
people.....  I have had 3 endoscopies in the last 10 years and two
colonoscopies.
Last year the Doc said,"your villi are standing tall !"

Obviously, there is self-selection bias here. But with all the talk
about how hard the diet is and what a big adjustment it is, I find it
interesting that even the people who defined themselves as
semi-vigilant would probably seem, to non-Celiacs, pretty darn
careful. Gluten yields to soap and water, after all (the flour in the
kitchen) and we know there is scientific data that says oatmeal is
fine. (Just so you know, I avoid oatmeal, and my own rule is that my
kitchen stays gluten-free.) So even semi-vigilant is still pretty
vigilant.

The reason for the question is that my medical-article-writing
friend, using widespread noncompliance among Type II diabetics as her
model, assumed that I must be the most vigilant Celiac around. Nope.
Super-vigilant seems to be typical.

Thanks for all your quick replies.

best regards,
Mary B.