From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:16:34 -0500

Hi Everyone!

WOW!  This was our largest turnout so far!  We had around 18 adults and
7 children (25) including several supportive husbands, family members and
friends.  Sixteen of us are diagnosed with celiac and one 19-month-old
little girl will find out soon.  We all had such a great time and, as
always, so much information sharing and caring that we could have spent the
entire day together and never run out of conversation.

Red Bowl ~ an Asian Bistro (www.redbowltegacay.com):
I always like to thank the restaurant especially when they go above and
beyond to make our visit safe and comfortable.  The Red Bowl is
definitely at the top of our list!  Many of us members visit the Red Bowl
regularly. They have such a wonderful and extensive menu and are so very
careful that you forget you have a health condition.  They gave us use of
their private back room and the servers were so helpful and friendly.  They
even helped me with adding the menus to my handout folders and placing them
at each seat ahead of time!  Thank you to Steve too!  Steve made all the
arrangements with Joseph, the manager of the Red Bowl.  We all loved the
Red Bowl and will make this a regular visiting place!

A&S Natural Health Store:
After lunch several of us went on a shopping spree at the A&S Natural
Health store across the street from the Red Bowl.  Although they
Recently changed owners, they still maintain a wonderful selection of
gluten-free prepared food items as well as basic baking ingredients.  We
thank them for keeping a large selection of items for us!

Welcomes:
We welcomed several new members (celiacs and supportive family
members), specifically: Karen, Jessica, Jordon, Debra, Jennifer, Jack,
Renee, Noelle, Gavin, Skylar.  Karen is our newest diagnosed celiac, just
two weeks ago. Her diagnosis is interesting in that she was asymptomatic.
When her doctor put her on Fosamax (for osteopenia), she had a severe
reaction.  Thus, an endoscopy was performed.  The biopsy came back as
celiac.  It is quite a blessing that Karen has such a thorough doctor.
Karen really enjoyed our meeting and talking with others who have celiac.
Jessica was diagnosed last Easter so she's had a little time to learn how
to manage celiac as well as some tips.  Jessica shared what great success
she has had in finding gf food at Asian markets.  While you may not always
find gluten free labels, all ingredients are listed in English!  They have
lots of snack foods like chips, cookies, etc.  Thanks Jessica!  I heard
others like shopping at Asian markets but this makes it so much clearer.  I
may need to add some Asian markets to my web-site!   Then we met Jennifer
whose son,Gavin (3 - 1/2), is diagnosed celiac so she has different
challenges.  Jennifer enjoyed meeting everyone and learning from those of
us dealing with celiac.  Jennifer had never attended another meeting
anywhere and was so glad she came.  Jennifer looks forward to future
meetings!   Debra has 3 children and her youngest daughter, Noelle (19
mos), is waiting for her celiac test results.  Noelle has some of the
classic symptoms of celiac children and Debra has tested her by diet
several times.  We all hope Debra gets the medical confirmation she seeks
because not knowing is so much harder than the diet!  A huge THANK YOU to
Carol, our resident nurse, for coming and working with our newly diagnosed
celiacs and family members. Carol is such a rock for our group and has a
wealth of information to share!

It was so nice seeing Kim and Randy again.  Both have been away trying
To deal with their own special health challenges. I think we all are
Learning that getting celiac is not the end.  We all may get other
conditions (just like any other human being) and, so, paying particular
attention to our health and daily habits is a continual learning process.

Good-Byes:
It is hard to believe that we have been meeting for 8 months now and
we have our first good-byes! It is so hard saying good-bye to friends.
Harriett and her husband were moved up quicker on a list for their chosen
retirement community.  So, they are on their way to Greensboro.  We wish
them all the best in their golden years.  Sharon, who came from San Diego,
is destined home! Charlotte is just too cold for her!  I really cannot
understand that since I think Charlotte is the most perfect spot in the
county but then I am from Michigan..:)We will miss you Sharon and wish you
all the best.  I have learned so much from you in just your short visit
with us.

Celiac Support Bracelets:
I gave out quite a few celiac bracelets to existing and new members!
It is important that we wear these bracelets to increase awareness of
celiac disease.  Although the word is getting out, we have a long way to
go! If you want to purchase a bunch to sell or give out, you can purchase
them online from the University of Maryland, the link is on my web-site.
They even have children sizes.  So, what better way to make your child feel
part of the team and help other children understand, then to buy one for
everyone in your child's class?  Alecia even told me, a while back, that
her son Andrew began to talk more freely of his condition because of the
bracelet. So, maybe even a confidence promoter?  Finally, purchasing them
supports the work done by the University of Maryland for your condition! It
is a win-win! http://www.charlotte-celiac-connection.org/Give.html

Antibiotics:
Well, this deserves separate title.  Chandra, Twila, Sharon and Janet
Have all recently suffered negative side effects or consequences from
taking antibiotics (all for different reasons and different types of
antibiotics).  I recently wrote a post to maelstrom seeking opinions
and did some research.  It is conclusive that antibiotics throw off our
bacteria levels (good vs. bad) by actually destroying our good bacteria!
Interestingly Sharon and I have significant joint pain as one symptom that
is hard to rid (all the other symptoms pretty much go away with a
probiotic).  A probiotic, like Acidophilus, is critical either concurrently
or after use of antibiotics/steroids.  This helps replace the good bacteria
that were destroyed.  We all think something else is going on, though, like
a viral, bacteria, yeast or parasite infection.  So, what does this mean to
celiacs?  Do we normally have lower counts of good bacteria?  Should we
always take a probiotic, even when not on antibiotics?  Are our intestines
friendlier to bad bacteria or is our diet feeding these critters?  Well,
although we have some answers, we still have lots of more questions!

Bottled Water - I am also learning that bottled water is not safer than
city water.  The EPA more rigidly regulates City water.  For bottled water,
the FDA relies on the bottler's self-testing and self-selection of
laboratories.  I really don't think people with autoimmune conditions
should drink bottled water, especially since some figures say as high as
40% contain contaminates or bacteria.

Lemon Juice - Lemon juice is a potent antibacterial, cleansing and
Healing food.  It can kill bacteria and fungi, especially in the mouth,
throat and stomach (not the intestines though).  To be most effective,
drink juice full strength.  Do not dilute or heat.  So now you know the
reason we put lemon in our water or when we order fish out, it is not just
for the taste!

Garlic - Garlic is the most powerful everyday food! Eaten raw, it
Provides positive healing reactions.  It kills bacteria, some viruses and
fungal infections and even intestinal parasites!  There is a great article
on the University of Maryland web-site, see link immediately following.
Take one medium clove and chop of mince it very finely.  Do not crush it
because it releases the allicin healing juice (this needs to make it down
your track).  www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Print/Garlicch.html

All I can say is after taking lemon juice and garlic; I woke up this
morning feeling like a new person!!

Miscellaneous Tips and Comments:
A few of us learned how we could safely eat at Mexican restaurants by
getting the Spanish restaurant card and specifying corn for the wraps.
We still need to use care!

The Living Without Magazine should be a must on everybody's list!

50% of Gluten-Free Food is Tax Deductible!

Lynn, our resident flight attendant, travels often and provides this
tip.  Always carry dried nuts, apples, Boom Bars or even a Payday candy bar
in your purse or brief case.  I think this is a good idea even for non-
travelers, just in case of an emergency (e.g., the restaurant messes up
your order and you can't wait, you decide to skip lunch because of a tight
deadline, etc.).

For those athletic celiacs, namely our own Melissa, it's very hard to
Carb-load when you are celiac and need to go out of town...say for kayaking
marathons (totally out of my league!).  Melissa suggests GU Brand sports
gels/drinks since they are gluten-free.  I may try these when I need to
load up on carbs to do my yard work...:)

Rosina Sausage Meatballs at Lowe's grocery stores are gluten-free.

Over time, you can really start building a portfolio of regular products at
your local grocery store by doing the research and calling companies.  When
the food labeling law goes into effect, it will only get easier.

Lynn’s Lasagna:  Peel zucchini and slice long ways about 1/4 inch
thick. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes then dry well with paper toweling.  Then
simply make your favorite Lasagna recipe substituting the zucchini for the
noodles. A very smart and healthy choice!

Closing Notes:
Ashley brought her 2-year-old son, Hunter, and he is so adorable!
Hunter even gave me a big hug and kiss when he left.  You are so very
blessed Ashley but I know you know that!

Congratulations to Kristen, our mom-to-be!  Kristen only has 15 weeks to go
and she just looks terrific!  If my calculation is correct, I think this
means we will have a little St. Patty's baby, are we a wee bit Irish?

HAPPY 14TH BIRTHDAY TO REBECCA!!  Can you believe that Rebecca already
knows she wants to go to medical school and become a doctor (a
geneticist)!  We call her our young prodigy and we are just so proud of her
for so many reasons.

Well, as you can tell, we all had a wonderful learning and sharing
experience! Many of us, more experienced celiacs agreed, that although we
may come to give and help others, we always walk away so blessed
ourselves!  I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Although we have
our challenges, we have so much to be thankful for.  I am so thankful for
each and every one of you.  I hope to see everyone next month.

Warm Regards, Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC
The Queen City
http://www.charlotte-celiac-connection.org