From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:02:27 -0500

Hi Everyone!

Our BBQ event was a huge success!  Everyone brought so much food, my
kitchen barely held it all.  So many of us commented how nice it was having
a buffet you didn’t have to just eat what you brought.  We grilled steak,
chicken, had at least 6 different pastas/salads, breads, veggies, etc.
etc.  The desserts were out of this world and there were so many wonderful
choices from brownies, chocolate flourless cake, pumpkin cookies, peach
cobbler (Yes Nancy, this was the first thing my mother asked me about – so
don’t forget to send the recipe), fresh fruits, etc. etc. I guess we proved
we celiacs can eat very well!

A huge thank you to Ashley, who came a few hours earlier to help me setup.
I couldn’t have done it without you!!  I suffer from another condition
called projectionitis (as in I ALWAYS underestimate how much time things
take) but I think Ashley already knew this about me (remember she’s our
member psychologist).  Thank you Nancy and Ben, who came early too and
helped me retain my sanity.  Ben did an excellent job of grilling the
steaks and chicken.  Also, thank you Jackie!  Jackie is the sweetest girl
and cleaned up all the rooms.  She reminds me so much of myself at her
age.

We had several new members come this month.  Alecia came with her son,
Andrew, who is 5 and has celiac.  Andrew is the most well behaved young man
and is just adorable!  Harriet came and brought a wonderful Reunion Salad
(you need to send me the recipe, so I can send it to the group).  Also,
Lynn, Twila’s daughter, is new to our group and has the most charismatic
personality and a good sense of humor.

We had so much fun, sharing all we know and have learned over the years.
We eat until we hurt and then ate some more.  We shared recipes and
everyone received a celiac bracelet (from the University of Maryland
CFCR).  I think we just felt like life was pretty normal and the comfort of
being with those that really understand and care is just priceless.

Pat, our group dietitian, will be leading a nutrition event for children at
the NC Piedmont Triad GIG meeting in Winston-Salem on October 1st.  (Jan,
Pat hinted that our larger celiac group might be bringing Dr. Hill here to
Charlotte so we may want to wait).  Pat is very dedicated and committed to
helping celiacs and increasing awareness.  She is an encouragement to us
all.  We all need to do our share, even if in some small way, to help each
other and try to make this path easier.  I think John F. Kennedy would say
something like - don't ask what this gluten world can do for you but what
you can do to change this gluten world!

Well, I guess I rambled on again but it was so much fun and I thank you all
for coming and making this a wonderful close association of friends!
Remember, our next month’s meeting will be at Blue’s, which is a very
upscale restaurant.  Betty’s son-in-law, Gene, is the chef so another feast
for us celiac queens and kings is on the way!

Warm Regards, Janet
Charlotte, NC
The Queen City
www.charlotte-celiac-connection.org